San Francisco Health Plan
Here’s an opportunity for an accounting professional to work for the largest Medi-Cal provider in San Francisco. San Francisco Health Plan (SFHP) is currently looking for a full-time Staff Accountant.
Reporting to the Manager of Accounting, the Staff Accountant will ensure the integrity of accounting information by recording, verifying, consolidating and entering transactions. You will complete payments and control expenses by receiving, processing, verifying and reconciling vendor and SFHP Providers invoices. Responsibilities will include processing vendor invoices in a timely manner, reconcile payment related general accounts and documenting/maintaining payment related accounting policies, procedures and workflows. You are also responsible for the maintenance and analysis of assigned general ledger accounts related to monthly close and reporting and accountable for the reconciliation of the accounts and related schedules along with the timely preparation of monthly journal entries. Playing a key role in the month end closing process, you will be responsible for identifying process improvement opportunities to gain operational efficiencies. Accounting work may also cover areas such as pensions, leases, and software.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Establish regular procedures and perform scheduled analysis of general ledger accounts.
- Identify month end variances; research and reconcile these differences.
- Prepare adjusting journal entries with supporting detail and submit to the Manager of Accounting for review and approval.
- Prepare monthly general ledger account reconciliations and account analysis for areas of responsibility. G/L account reconciliations will include documenting the makeup of account balances, researching differences between G/L balances and supporting detail and preparing adjusting journal entries.
- Maintain existing accounting policies, procedures and workflows. Write new accounting policies and procedures when needed.
- Respond to special requests for financial data and analysis and for information on current and proposed projects and programs; interpret results and formats to facilitate decision-making.
- Participate in the annual audit by assisting Finance management with the gathering of supporting documentation requested by the independent auditors. This work may include the testing of internal controls and documenting any weaknesses found.
- Perform research assignments, surveys and studies as they pertain to the SFHP budget or finances.
- Perform other finance projects and tasks as assigned by the Manager, Accounting including: pension, leases, capitation disbursement to SFHP, claims disbursements and accounting for other coverage programs.
WHAT YOU WILL BRING:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field is preferred or equivalent work experience.
- 1 – 3 years of successful accounting and financial reporting work experience is
- Knowledge of automated Accounts Payable and General Ledger accounting systems; experience with Great Plains accounting software preferred.
- Experience with a health care organization or a health plan is preferred.
- Experience with GASB desired.
- Medical Plans: You’ll have a choice of medical plans, including options from Kaiser and Blue Shield of California. Employee-only coverage in the HMO plans is currently available at no cost and dependent coverage is heavily subsidized by SFHP.
- Dental: You’ll have a choice of a basic dental plan or an enhanced dental plan which includes orthodontic coverage.
- Vision: Employee vision care coverage is available at no cost.
- Time Off: 23 days of Paid Time Off and 12 observed company holidays.
- Professional development: Opportunities for tuition reimbursement, professional license/membership.
Established in 1994, San Francisco Health Plan (SFHP) is an award winning, managed care health plan whose mission is to provide affordable health care coverage to the underserved low and moderate-income residents in San Francisco County. SFHP is chosen by eight out of every ten San Francisco Medi-Cal managed care enrollees and its 170,000+ members have access to a full spectrum of medical services including preventive care, specialty care, hospitalization, prescription drugs, and family planning services. SFHP was designed by and for the residents it serves, and takes great pride in its ability to accommodate a diverse population that includes young adults, seniors, and people with disabilities.
San Francisco Health Plan is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a work environment that supports, inspires, and respects all individuals and in which our people processes are applied without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristics.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
San Francisco Health Plan is an E-Verify participating employer.
Hiring priority will be given to candidates residing in the San Francisco Bay Area and California.