Growth Marketing and Communications Manager
The Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute is a global nonprofit organization committed to realizing a free, just, and equitable society. Since its founding in 1949, the Institute has been driving change through dialogue, leadership, and action to help solve the most critical challenges facing communities in the United States and around the world. Headquartered in Washington, DC, the Institute has a campus in Aspen, Colorado, and an international network of partners.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
To achieve our mission of a more free, just, and equitable society, we commit to working proactively to advance the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion across our myriad endeavors such as the recruitment, compensation, training, and advancement of staff. The best people-serving institutions make this commitment, and we seek to be a leader in the ways that we do so and learn from others. Visit our website to learn more about our commitment and recent actions taken toward building and nurturing a diverse and inclusive environment.
The Leadership Division of the Aspen Institute builds off its more than 70-year history of developing leaders across generations and place to become more effective, values-based leaders. Today, the Division includes (1) the Seminars Department, (2) the Aspen Global Leadership Network; (3) Weave: The Social Fabric Project, which connects and supports grassroots community leaders.
The Seminars Department delivers leadership development seminars for individuals, external partners, and clients. The guiding principle of all Seminars programs is the belief that the problems we face in society are moral, not technical. As such, we must all take the time and the space to become more self-aware, self-correcting, and ultimately self-fulfilling individuals.
The Executive Leadership Seminars (ELS) team, operating inside the larger Seminars Department, is responsible for delivering the Institute’s signature Aspen Executive Seminar on Leadership, Values, and the Good Society. ELS also works with organizations to deliver Custom Leadership Seminars designed to answer their unique needs.
The ELS team aims to grow participation in and delivery of our leadership development seminars in pursuit of growing values-based leadership in the corporate, non-profit, and government sectors. The Growth Marketing and Communications Manager plays a pivotal role in the growth plan by developing and executing a clear marketing strategy for the Executive Leadership Seminars offerings including the Aspen Executive Seminar, Custom Leadership Seminars, and other leadership seminars. The Growth Marketing and Communication Manager will broadly be responsible for:
- Driving knowledge of and expand opportunities for Aspen Institute Executive Leadership Seminars at the organizational and individual level.
- Developing and execute effective marketing and communication strategies for seminar growth.
- Collaborating closely with the Director of Business Development to align marketing efforts with sales objectives.
- Deepening engagement within the existing community (program alumni, fellows, and key stakeholders) by creating high-quality collateral, webinars, engaging content, and timely email communications.
- Elevating the Aspen Institute’s brand in the field of leadership development and executive education.
Reporting to the Managing Director of Executive Leadership Seminars, this role will work collaboratively with the Executive Director of Seminars, the Director of Business Development, and the Aspen Institute’s Managing Director of Communications and Marketing. The salary range for this position is $88,000-$93,000.
In accordance with our Reimagining Work policy, the BDSD should be willing to be in-person with colleagues a minimum of 40% of the time (in either our D.C or NYC office) while having the flexibility to work remotely for the balance. Additionally, the BDSD will be expected to travel 10% of the time.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Marketing and Communications:
- Oversee all marketing and communication activities for ELS, driving increased understanding of and engagement with seminar offerings.
- Maintain working knowledge of Leadership Development and Executive Education landscape, driving regular market analysis activities, including landscape assessments with attention to key players, products, current communications and marketing practices, messaging, and other trends.
- Design and implement an engagement strategy that positions the Aspen Institute Executive Leadership Seminars department as a leader in executive education and leadership development.
- Develop tailored communication strategies and materials for various target audiences while incorporating the department’s broader audience and communication priorities as well as specific programmatic priorities.
- Source thought leadership content from internal and external stakeholders, leveraging various content formats such as articles, whitepapers, social media, and webinars while maintaining alignment with the Aspen Institute’s brand.
- Develop and maintain marketing and sales enablement materials and resources to support Business Development in their efforts to drive leads to engage with seminar offerings.
- Collaborate with Business Development to create visually appealing collateral, pitch decks, proposals, and other materials that effectively communicate the value proposition of our seminars to potential clients and partners across the sales cycle.
- Develop systems and tools to grow a database of prospects and leads.
- Introduce and support a measurement & tracking system to best monitor impact of various marketing approaches to determine effectiveness and identify additional opportunities.
- Optimize marketing efforts to support continued growth of our seminar products in the leadership development and executive education market.
Email, Website, and Webinar Management:
- Manage email marketing initiatives—including lead generating campaigns, monthly alumni newsletter, and other email campaigns—to expand, nurture, and engage our community (program alumni, fellows, and key stakeholders).
- Maintain and update the ELS website with current information and marketing-focused content that effectively communicates that value of our seminars.
- Optimize the website and landing pages for communication of information, ease of registration, and sales conversions.
- Oversee the production of webinars, including planning, promotion, RSVP management, and post-event follow-up, to engage both current and potential participants in our programs.
Knowledge, Education, and Experience:
- 6+ years of broad experience in various aspects of marketing and communications.
- Demonstrated experience developing and driving a marketing strategy for the purpose of product sales, experience in leadership development or education preferred.
- Strong project management skills to coordinate and execute business development initiatives tied to revenue generation.
- Proven ability to contribute to lead generation efforts including familiarity with sales enablement tools and best practices.
- Demonstrated experience in marketing and communications campaign management.
- Knowledge of email marketing platforms like Pardot/Salesforce Marketing Cloud, Campaign Monitor, MailChimp, or equivalent. Strong writing and communication skills.
- Experience with content management systems (CMS), such as WordPress.
- Experience optimizing and managing a website.
- Proficiency in graphic design tools and software
- Collateral development including: professional pitch decks, proposals, and business development materials.
- Excellent copywriting and proofing abilities.
- An inquisitive mind and a love of learning with an appreciation for the humanities and their role in society.
- Strong interest in the work and mission of the Aspen Institute generally and the Seminars department specifically.
- Experience working with others from different cultures and backgrounds and an unwavering commitment to advance diversity, equity and inclusion.
Applications without a cover letter will not be considered for the position.
The Aspen Institute offers a generous benefits package including health, dental, vision, and prescription benefits, retirement benefits, and paid leave.
The Aspen Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all District and federal laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran or disabled status and will not be discriminated against.
If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation regarding the accessibility of our website, a modification or adjustment of the job application or interview process due to a disability, contact HRSupport@aspeninstitute.org or call (202) 736-5800.