IT/AV Support Technician
The Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute is a global nonprofit organization committed to realizing a free, just, and equitable society. Since its founding in 1949, the Institute has been driving change through dialogue, leadership, and action to help solve the most critical challenges facing communities in the United States and around the world. Headquartered in Washington, DC, the Institute has a campus in Aspen, Colorado, and an international network of partners.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
To achieve our mission of a more free, just, and equitable society, we commit to working proactively to advance the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion across our myriad endeavors such as the recruitment, compensation, training, and advancement of staff. The best people-serving institutions make this commitment, and we seek to be a leader in the ways that we do so and learn from others. Visit our website to learn more about our commitment and recent actions taken toward building and nurturing a diverse and inclusive environment.
The Information Technology Services department is a partner to all Programs and Departments at the Aspen Institute, responsible for delivering world-class service/support as well as digital and data solutions to meet the organization’s mission and business needs.
The IT-AV Support Technician is responsible for delivering end-to-end support to Aspen Institute and Aspen Meadows Resort employees, event attendees, and guests in accordance with Service Level Agreements and expectations for quality customer service.
Reporting to the Manager, Technology Services, this position has a specific focus on the support of users, endpoint devices, audiovisual, and other staff-facing systems operating at the Aspen Meadows Campus and other local facilities used by the Institute. She/he/they will participate in all broader Help-Desk and ITS team meetings/activities and provide remote support to all other Institute users as needed
Additional responsibilities include managing audiovisual systems and supporting campus events that require such systems in their programming. This includes collaboration with various personnel including Aspen Meadows Resort event planners, Festival producers, and third-party AV teams, ensuring that all appropriate activities are coordinated through the Campus’ Senior AV Services Manager.
The position also participates in a reserve/backup capacity to support the technologies used by employees and guests of the Aspen Meadows Resort, including wireless networking and Internet access, digital entertainment and mobile screencasting, telephony, Property Management Systems, Point-of-Sale, and other hospitality/retail systems.
The AV/IT Support Technician will be expected to provide support for special events, festivals, and other activities occurring on the property. Compensation time is granted for weekend or holiday work. Additionally, the position will participate in on-call support rotations for non-business hours. Extended on-site support duty should be expected during large summer festivals or other special events.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl in tight spaces. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move heavy packages and boxes (up to 50lbs).
This position reports directly to the Director. The salary range for this position is $65,000 - $85,000. On-site duty in the Aspen, Colorado Office is required on most normal workdays (typically 5 days a week), though flexibility will be permitted.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Incident Management / Customer Service (40%)
- Troubleshoots and resolves IT and AV incidents reported via phone, email, web, in-person, and other communication channels.
- Works as AV operator for small, internal and low profile events, including load in/out, sound and system checks, and coordinating directly with attendees as needed.
- Identifies, prioritizes, tracks and reports on significant incidents (Outages, VIPs) to leadership teams and other groups in order to expedite resolution and enhance customer satisfaction.
- Takes ownership of day-to-day tasks and ensures all tickets are compliant with policy/practice and completed against SLAs. Identifies when request modifications, alternate solutions, and/or escalation procedures are appropriate.
- Welcomes new employees as part of the orientation team, assists employees transitioning positions, and helps departing employees returning/transferring devices, licenses, and data.
- Proactively learns and trains other staff members on new applications, operating procedures, and service technologies.
- Develops Knowledge Base articles based on incident trends and customer needs and manages the lifecycle of generated knowledge to ensure accuracy/relevance/completeness.
IT & AV Technology Support (30%)
- Deploys and retrieves IT hardware; installs and configures operating systems and software; performs scheduled/proactive maintenance activities; participates in inventory and asset management.
- Maintains AV hardware; installs and configures systems and software; performs scheduled/proactive maintenance activities; participates in inventory and asset management.
- Coordinates with Senior AV Services Manager and IT Management to complete new AV system installations and upgrades.
- Collaborates with Aspen Meadows Resort and external clients for all IT and AV equipment usage, ensuring all items perform as expected and are returned in proper order. Facilitates equipment rental as needed.
- Partners with the campus network engineering team to constantly improve existing services based on user feedback and experience with the systems.
- Supports IT and AV services for special events and festivals, including AV systems integration, videoconferencing, retail technology and security, wifi and cellular services to guests.
- Supports campus technology duties, including guest-facing digital services, with Aspen Meadows Resort management and operations teams.
- Assists technology and building engineering teams on general support for the Aspen Meadows Campus and other Institute properties, including campus cable plant/wiring, MDF/IDF, electrical and environmental control, security monitoring, telecommunications/Internet, wired/wireless networks, IoT, printing, AV integration, and user/endpoint connectivity.
- Participates in security activities including incident response, business continuity, and disaster recovery.
Knowledge, Education, and Experience:
- Proven collaboration and teamwork skills, with an emphasis on sharing knowledge to improve expertise across the group. Strong organizational skills and attention to detail. Experience working in the non-profit or hospitality industries a plus. ITIL v3/v4 certification a plus. CompTIA Sec+ a plus.
- Experience with Help Desk roles and responsibilities. Experience with deploying and supporting laptop/desktop/mobile hardware, as well as maintaining inventory and asset management processes. Experience with supporting direct and networked printers/multi-function devices, including working with manufacturer hardware support for repairs/replacements, etc.
- Experience with supporting room-based AV conferencing systems including Zoom Rooms and Crestron integrations. Experience with AV event operations including microphone/speaker/audio, camera, routing, and livestreaming.
- Knowledge of current Microsoft, Apple, Android operating systems for both desktop and mobile platforms, as well as Microsoft Office desktop applications and the Office 365 cloud environment. Knowledge of desktop/mobile collaboration and conferencing applications, including GSuite, Slack, and Zoom.
- Ability to function in a dynamic environment subject to changes in schedules and priorities. Ability to participate in multiple projects concurrently from inception to completion with limited management supervision. Ability to interact positively and productively with teams across organizational lines.
- Outstanding customer service and communication skills. Outstanding troubleshooting and problem-solving skills. Broad knowledge of technology industry news, emerging trends, current security threats; strong ability to apply that knowledge to business problems/opportunities and also act as a general knowledge resource. Excellent discipline/adherence to operating procedures and published knowledge base resources, as well as corporate and technology policy/practice.
The Aspen Institute offers a generous benefits package including health, dental, vision, and prescription benefits, retirement benefits, and paid leave.
The Aspen Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all District and federal laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran or disabled status and will not be discriminated against.
If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation regarding the accessibility of our website, a modification or adjustment of the job application or interview process due to a disability, contact HRSupport@aspeninstitute.org or call (202) 736-5800.
Language for US Based Employees and VISA:
"Applicants must be authorized to work for any employer in the U.S. We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of an employment visa at this time."