Financial Data Analyst
The Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute is a global nonprofit organization committed to realizing a free, just, and equitable society. Since its founding in 1949, the Institute has been driving change through dialogue, leadership, and action to help solve the most critical challenges facing communities in the United States and around the world. Headquartered in Washington, DC, the Institute has a campus in Aspen, Colorado, and an international network of partners.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
To achieve our mission of a more free, just, and equitable society, we commit to working proactively to advance the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion across our myriad endeavors such as the recruitment, compensation, training, and advancement of staff. The best people-serving institutions make this commitment, and we seek to be a leader in the ways that we do so and learn from others. Visit our website to learn more about our commitment and recent actions taken toward building and nurturing a diverse and inclusive environment.
The Financial Data Analyst will report to the Director of Fiscal Reporting & Learning to develop reporting and dashboards in Planful PCR and F9 as well as other graphical data software for the Financial Analysis team. The primary focus of this position will be on publishing and managing monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports for programs across the Institute.
The salary range for this position is $68,000 - $78,000. This role reports to the Director. In accordance with the Aspen Institute’s Reimagining Work policy, the The Financial Data Analyst should be willing to be in-person with colleagues in the Washington, DC office a minimum of 40% of the time while having the flexibility to work remotely for the balance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work directly with Director of Fiscal Reporting & Learning to create system-driven reports for programs’ monthly, quarterly, and annual reporting
- Develop, deploy, and maintain reports using Planful, Netsuite, and F9
- Understand complex financial data and processes to define reporting and dashboard requirements that support financial analysis, financial reporting, and financial audit response needs.
- Creatively visualize data in a variety of formats to provide relevant insights to Analysis team, Program staff, and Senior Leadership.
- Monitor automated processes and reports for accuracy and completion; contribute to process improvement
- Develop and maintain cooperative working relationships with Finance & Accounting, ITS, FP&A system users, and staff using FP&A system
- Collaborate, communicate with, and support Financial Analysis team and Operational Accounting to develop meaningful financial reports for their assigned programs or departments
- Work with Financial Managers to collect final, analyzed reports with narrative to store for reference and audit-purposes
- Work closely with Financial Services Unit to ensure the accuracy of forecasting
- Develop and maintain financial/operational reports/models, create new reporting tools, and perform special projects as assigned.
- Identify and effectively communicate work plans, risks, and issues to the Director of Fiscal Reporting & Learning and team.
- Assist new team members with training on financial reporting
- Work independently and with team members as appropriate to complete assigned activities.
Knowledge, Education and Experience:
- BA/BS in fields of business administration, accounting, finance, business administration, or equivalent working experience in relevant fields with upward tracking record; a background in a non-profit, research or academic setting is strongly preferred
- Minimum of 2-3 years’ working experience, excellent verbal and written communication, project and planning skills
- Experience in comprehensive 360 financial reporting
- Experience in creating effective Dashboards for various levels of leadership is highly desirable
- Excellent skills of Excel, PowerPoint, and other Microsoft applications
- Experience with Tableau, Microsoft Power BI or similar BI reporting tool a plus
- Knowledge of standard accounting & budget principles and implementation in non-profit organizations are essential
- Knowledge of database software is helpful
- Strong technical, analytical, and problem-solving skills; Ability to pick up new technologies quickly
- Attention to details; proven ability to work efficiently under pressure
- Works well in a team environment, creative thinker, and quick learner
The Aspen Institute offers a generous benefits package including health, dental, vision, and prescription benefits, retirement benefits, and paid leave.
The Aspen Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all District and federal laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran or disabled status and will not be discriminated against.If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation regarding the accessibility of our website, a modification or adjustment of the job application or interview process due to a disability, contact HRSupport@aspeninstitute.org or call (202) 736-5800.