The Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute is a global nonprofit organization committed to realizing a free, just, and equitable society. Since its founding in 1949, the Institute has been driving change through dialogue, leadership, and action to help solve the most critical challenges facing communities in the United States and around the world. Headquartered in Washington, DC, the Institute has a campus in Aspen, Colorado, and an international network of partners.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
To achieve our mission of a more free, just, and equitable society, we commit to working proactively to advance the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion across our myriad endeavors such as the recruitment, compensation, training, and advancement of staff. The best people-serving institutions make this commitment, and we seek to be a leader in the ways that we do so and learn from others. Visit our website to learn more about our commitment and recent actions taken toward building and nurturing a diverse and inclusive environment.
Aspen Digital is a nonpartisan technology and information-focused organization that brings together thinkers and doers to uncover new ideas and spark policies, processes, and procedures that empower communities and strengthen democracy. This future-focused Aspen Institute program inspires collaboration among diverse voices from industry, government, and civil society to ensure our interconnected world is accessible, safe, and inclusive – both online and off. Across its initiatives, Aspen Digital develops methods for elevating promising solutions and turning thought into networked impact. To learn more, visit aspendigital.org.
As a key member of the fast-growing Aspen Digital team, the Finance Lead is responsible for creating and managing budgets (currently ~$12 million annually), forecasts, grant and cost accounting, grants management, and other nonprofit financial and administrative operations.
The Finance Lead reports to the Managing Director and works in partnership especially with senior colleagues across the program, as well as with the finance department of the Aspen Institute. The salary range for this role is $105,000-$140,000 per year.
This is a hybrid, Washington, DC-based position. Selected candidates are expected to work in person at the Washington, DC office approximately two days per week.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Prepares the annual program budget (~$12 million annually) with attention to forecasting all necessary programmatic details, in collaboration with the Aspen Digital leadership team and other program leaders.
- Monitors and tracks expenses and revenues across multiple projects; conducts monthly budget reviews and reconciliations, including updated budget reports; monitors and tracks general ledger; prepares and adjusts monthly salary allocations; updates forecasting.
- Implements processes and protocols to allow leadership and program directors to track their budget and actuals with ease.
- Prepares, reviews and distributes monthly financial reports and analysis for Aspen Digital and all of its programs. Documents and addresses issues requiring attention and/or further discussion.
- Works with the Aspen Institute’s staff to ensure timely and accurate processing of payables and receivables.
- Collaborates with staff to create and maintain project budgets; train staff to read and understand financial reports and manage programs based on financial data.
- Ensures compliance with all Aspen Institute policies and procedures.
- Creates budgets for grant proposals in consultation with leadership and program directors.
- Manages the program’s grant and contract processes, including coordinating consulting contracts and grant agreements, facilitating due diligence reviews, ensuring complete documentation, and acting as a liaison with Aspen Institute legal department as needed.
- Monitors the schedule of grant reporting deadlines and coordinates with colleagues to ensure financial reports are prepared, approved, and submitted on time.
- Works with project directors to comply with funder’s terms and conditions, monitor spending, request amendments, and plan spend-out.
- Oversees and maintains financial records on the program’s funders and contractors in collaboration with the Aspen Institute accounting department. Works with staff to respond to funder requests for financial information.
- Acts as Aspen Digital’s liaison to the Aspen Institute’s accounting department and financial services unit.
- Serves as finance expertise contact for multiple Aspen Digital project staff; communicates regularly and effectively to provide financial analysis, support and guidance.
- Ensures that services are delivered efficiently, effectively and in a courteous and timely way, and establishes processes necessary to do so.
Perform other duties as required.
Knowledge, education, and experience:
- Degree in finance, accounting or related field. CPA not required
- At least 7 years of relevant work experience in a similar, non-profit environment
- Excellent leadership and project management skills, with an emphasis on initiating, organizing, implementing and overseeing various streams of work, while maintaining the highest level of attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to implement structures, systems, and processes that drive efficiency
- Strong analytical skills and strategic thinking
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate complex financial information with ease
- Results-oriented, highly motivated, and enjoys collaborating with colleagues across teams
All interested applicants must submit a resume/CV and cover letter.
The Aspen Institute offers a generous benefits package including health, dental, vision, and prescription benefits, retirement benefits, and paid leave.
The Aspen Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all District and federal laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran or disabled status and will not be discriminated against.