The Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute is a global nonprofit organization committed to realizing a free, just, and equitable society. Since its founding in 1949, the Institute has been driving change through dialogue, leadership, and action to help solve the most critical challenges facing communities in the United States and around the world. Headquartered in Washington, DC, the Institute has a campus in Aspen, Colorado, and an international network of partners.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
To achieve our mission of a more free, just, and equitable society, we commit to working proactively to advance the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion across our myriad endeavors such as the recruitment, compensation, training, and advancement of staff. The best people-serving institutions make this commitment, and we seek to be a leader in the ways that we do so and learn from others. Visit our website to learn more about our commitment and recent actions taken toward building and nurturing a diverse and inclusive environment.
Aspen Ideas: Climate is an annual event that uplifts ideas and innovations across the climate conversation, through high-profile keynote speakers and panels, roundtable discussions, workshops, as well as public and more intimate gatherings of experts to discuss climate smart policy, science, technology, design, investment, and more. The event also highlights music, art, climate tech, and other creative climate solutions at the cutting-edge.. A multigenerational convening, this year’s convening will bring together its most dynamic mix of experts and young leaders to share, listen, and inspire one another.
Timeline for internship program:
· Application Deadline: September 8, 2023
· Interview dates: September 13 - 22nd
· Employment notification: Early October
· Position Start Date: November 6 (Flexible)
· Position End Date: End of March (Flexible)
· Hours per Week: Flexibility to start at less than 40 hours per week, working up to 40 hours a week by December. Overtime will be paid as applicable.
Please note that it is a requirement to travel to Miami Beach March 11th-14th for the Aspen Ideas: Climate Event.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Work mainly with the Aspen Ideas: Climate speaker team on all aspects of speaker needs, including but not limited to, managing speaker registration, coordinating travel and lodging for speakers and moderators, database entry, cross-checking data and proofreading communications
· Managing speaker registration processes by monitoring online registration form, maintaining speaker database, as well as collecting bios, headshots, copyright agreements, and personal information
· Coordinate the event bookstore
· Assist with staffing needs of events, excursions, lectures, and seminars
· Prepare invitations, reports, spreadsheets, correspondences, and mailings as requested
· Troubleshoot issues on the ground during the event including with regards to speaker participation and logistics
Additional projects as requested by department supervisor:
• Coordinate book signings
• Organize photo database via web interface
• Assist with content research as needed by the content team
• Assist in drafting panel descriptions
• Assist in putting together invite lists for sponsor events
• Manage speaker thank you project
Knowledge, Education and Experience:
· High attention to detail (proofreading, identifying key information)
· Strong research skills (articles and facts/stats)
· Outstanding communication, organizational, and time management skills
· Ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality with sensitive information
· Event production/execution experience preferred
· Strong technology literacy and proficiency
· Demonstrated interest in environmental issues is a plus.
· Must be enrolled in or recent graduate of an accredited college
The ideal candidate will have these Core Values:
· Respect and value diversity
· Initiative and responsiveness
· Team player with ability to work well independently and with others
The Aspen Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all District and federal laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran or disabled status and will not be discriminated against.