Program Associate, Communications
The Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute is a global nonprofit organization committed to realizing a free, just, and equitable society. Since its founding in 1949, the Institute has been driving change through dialogue, leadership, and action to help solve the most critical challenges facing communities in the United States and around the world. Headquartered in Washington, DC, the Institute has a campus in Aspen, Colorado, and an international network of partners.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
To achieve our mission of a more free, just, and equitable society, we commit to working proactively to advance the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion across our myriad endeavors such as the recruitment, compensation, training, and advancement of staff. The best people-serving institutions make this commitment, and we seek to be a leader in the ways that we do so and learn from others. Visit our website to learn more about our commitment and recent actions taken toward building and nurturing a diverse and inclusive environment.
The Stevens Initiative is an international leader in virtual exchange, which brings young people from diverse places together to collaborate and connect through everyday technology. Created in 2015 as a lasting tribute to Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens, the Initiative invests in virtual exchange programs; shares research, resources, and promising practices to improve impact; and advocates for broader adoption. Learn more: https://www.stevensinitiative.org/
The Program Associate, Communications is responsible for assisting with the planning, production, and execution of Stevens Initiative communication plan and its various events.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Communications & Events
- In collaboration with the Assistant Director and Program Manager, contribute to and execute a communications strategy that raises awareness of and builds support for virtual exchange, reaching audiences at an increasing scale;
- Design and implement campaigns and special projects, including content creation, coordinating buy-in from team and external partners, etc.;
- Coordinate the strategy and execution of releases and announcements, including publications, new grantees, new initiatives, new partners, etc.;
- Oversee grantee support related to communication guidance, deliverables (including videos, photos, and impact sharing), and strategy;
- Track website and social media analytics to support internal and external reporting needs and to inform strategy;
- Manage relationships with relevant Institute contacts (communications team) and external consultants (including design firm and webmaster);
- Develop, review, approve, and disseminate communication materials, including monthly e-newsletters, social media posts, website copy, press releases, event collateral, messaging materials, and emails to outreach lists;
- Support convening and event content creation, such as preparing, designing, and copyediting event materials.
- Manage and maintain data through Salesforce and Constant Contact;
- Support with direct and general outreach research to broaden the Initiative’s network;
- Track contract and payment processes and deadlines;
- General support and other administrative duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Education, and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field with at least 2-3 years of relevant experience;
- Communicates clearly and effectively;
- Exceptional writing and editing skills;
- Proficiency with social media platforms, CRM systems, and basic website editing/management, graphic design experience required, including experience with Microsoft Office Suite, Salesforce; Proficiency in Canva, Wordpress, Constant Contact preferred;
- Strong project management skills - attention to detail, ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and meet deadlines;
- Ability to work in fast-paced environment;
- Strong interest in the mission of the Stevens Initiative;
- A positive attitude with a can-do mindset and excited to be part of a cohesive team in a fast-paced environment.
The Aspen Institute offers a generous benefits package including health, dental, vision, and prescription benefits, retirement benefits, and paid leave.
The Aspen Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all District and federal laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran or disabled status and will not be discriminated against.