Director, Accelerator, Financial Institutions Engagement
Skoll World Forum
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our website (www.ceres.org).
Here at Ceres, we value integrity, equity, belonging, compassion, and respect. We demonstrate those values through how we communicate and collaborate with our colleagues and external partners; and embody them in our decision making and advocacy efforts to create a more just and sustainable future.
About the Accelerator Team
The Ceres Accelerator for Sustainable Capital Markets is a center of excellence within Ceres that aims to transform the practices and policies that govern capital markets to reduce the worst financial impacts of the climate crisis. It spurs action on climate change as a systemic financial risk—driving the large-scale behavior and systems change needed to achieve a net-zero emissions economy through key financial actors, including investors, banks, and insurers.
Here is more information about the Ceres Accelerator: www.ceres.org/accelerator.
About the Role
This is a full-time remote position with an option to access an office in Boston. This position is designed for a highly motivated, self-starter with prior industry experience in the US banking sector looking to be an advocate for strong and effective climate and clean energy policies, especially in the banking sector. The position will report to the Net Zero Finance Program Director, Ceres Accelerator for Sustainable Capital Markets.
Specific duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Lead the Ceres Accelerator Financial Institution Engagement Program.
- Manage 2-4 team members’ performance and professional development.
- Lead the strategic planning and implementation of financial institution engagement, including financial institution outreach, engagements, and related activities to promote sustainable finance and climate finance, focusing on the US banking sector.
- Develop thought leadership focusing on sustainable and climate finance for the US banking sector, including research, reports, RFI responses, op-eds, technical events, etc.
- Partner with Accelerator, Company Network, Investor Network, and Policy teams to lead outreach to support bank engagement strategy planning and implementation.
- Work with Ceres team to drive external outreach to bank (and possibly insurance) leadership to address climate change as a financial risk.
- Coordinate outreach with investors, regulators, and other influencers of the banking industry.
- Drive strategies to impact banking and other financial institutions, industry, regulators, industry associations, and other influencers using earned media, advocacy days, national & regional meetings, direct engagement with policymakers, and other strategies.
- Develop, maintain, and expand relationships with external partners and key allies, such as non-profits, trade associations, think tanks, communications firms, and lobbyists working in, and associated with, financial institutions.
- Lead the development of events, activities, and outreach for the bank engagement effort.
- Work with Ceres team to drive an external campaign to get bank, financial institutions including credit union leadership to address climate change as a financial risk.
- Prepare materials and support Ceres staff and investor, Policy & Company Network members to engage with the press, regulators, legislative staffers, and lawmakers on banking issues.
- Coordinate closely with financial regulator outreach efforts at state and federal level.
- Recruit bankers and business leaders, in coordination with the Investor Network, Company Network, and policy teams, to engage in advocacy on financial institutions.
- Help craft fundraising proposals to support the project and program work.
- As needed, participate in meetings with current and potential funders.
- Support and organize activities related to Ceres’ virtual and in-person events.
- Handle other duties for Ceres and Ceres Accelerator as requested.
- Bachelor’s Degree or commensurate experience required.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of related full-time experience required. Experience in or with the financial sector required; direct experience in banks or depository financial institutions highly preferred.
- Direct experience working on sustainable finance or climate finance preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to bring a nuanced advocacy perspective to both analysis and corporate engagement and to make clear recommendations for actions and next steps.
- Prior experience managing individuals and contractors.
- Strong presentation, verbal communication, and written communication skills.
- Experience with relationship management and partnership development.
- Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, strong initiative, and motivation.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage multiple complex projects simultaneously.
- Planning expertise and delivering projects on deadlines and within time and resource budgets.
- Ability to work as part of a team and to take a collaborative approach.
- Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ Commitment to Inclusion and Equity.
- Proficient with word-processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, and e-mail computer applications.
- Willingness to travel as needed.
Compensation and Benefits
The hiring salary is $113,250 – $120,000 with competitive benefits. Ceres offers fantastic benefits including opportunities for hybrid and remote work; 82% or 85% (depending on your coverage election) employer paid health insurance and 90% employer paid dental insurance; a 403(b) retirement plan with a generous match that starts on day one; generous allowances for commuter and work from home expenses; flexible spending accounts to set aside money on a pre-tax basis for eligible expenses; 10 holidays, generous vacation, and additional paid time off including a week-long winter break, summer Fridays, and sick, personal, and parental leave.
Everyone has a role to play in the movement towards a more just and sustainable world.
At Ceres, we are committed to intentionally and carefully curating, engaging, and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. We endeavor to create a supportive environment that sparks innovation, fosters respect, and allows Ceres employees, in all roles at all levels, to come together equally to be fulfilled, successful, and to thrive.
Ceres is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from all qualified candidates, and we do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.
If you have questions related to the above statement or need a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), please contact our ADA Coordinator at ADArequest@ceres.org. Please note, this email address is for ADA inquiries only.
We encourage all applicants to check out our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. Please submit a resume and cover letter through our online application. Professional references may be requested during the selection process.