Skoll World Forum
About Pollinate Impact
Incubators and accelerators across the Global South relentlessly support entrepreneurs to build thriving businesses while creating impact for their communities. But, there are limited – if any – support systems for the incubators and accelerators to share lessons learned, connect them to funding opportunities, and offer networks of peer support.
Pollinate Impact recently launched as a member-led network of impact incubators and accelerators in the Global South. By bringing the incubation and acceleration community together, we are amplifying and unifying their voices, to drive more support to the impact entrepreneurship field. By building avenues for incubators to share, collaborate, and co-create, we enable them to better support their entrepreneurs, develop shared resources, and ultimately create transformative change in their communities. By the end of 2024, our 50 member organizations will have supported more than 60,000 impact entrepreneurs who are driving sustainable development solutions across Africa, South Asia, and Southeast Asia.
This is a pivotal moment to join our team, where you will play a crucial role in building this Network from the ground up, directly supporting members to amplify their impact, and to build a thriving incubation industry in their regions. As part of the Secretariat of this member-led network, you should expect a dynamic environment where emergence is embraced, where you appreciate learning through an iterative process. We are cultivating and stewarding the members of our Network towards common goals, and we believe in being responsive and empathetic to the unique needs and demands of our members.
Learn more: https://www.pollinateimpact.org/
As the Communications Ninja, you are responsible to strategically increase our online presence and engagement with diverse stakeholders across different geographies to build a strong brand. You will creatively demonstrate our impact and successes to the broader ecosystem and successfully implement all communications initiatives related to our programming, events, and day-to-day activities in various geographies. You are a creative storyteller and strategic thinker who is a social media expert and passionate about content and the role it plays in building a global community whilst staying true to our values.
This will be a full-time remote role, with a preference for an individual based in sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia, or Southeast Asia. Because our team is scattered across the globe, you will need to take meetings outside of a 9-5 schedule, since our opportunities to connect as a team are limited, given the spread of time zones.
Communications Strategy Execution – 75%
• Embrace Pollinate Impact’s vision and ensure the delivery of a marketing and communications strategy to meet our growth goals for social media following and email list serves – think quality over quantity!
• Implement the digital content strategy, ensuring coordination and consistency across key stakeholders and geographies while effectively telling our story and building the brand.
• Support editorial planning by driving content ideas to the proper channels, setting and delivering on appropriate project timelines.
• Maintain the Network’s social media and editorial calendar, translating high-level marketing strategy and messaging into relevant weekly and daily content to support consistent campaigns while creating opportunities for thought leadership.
• Ensure successful campaigns are delivered in alignment to our programmatic initiatives by converting the Network’s day-to-day activities into our communications channels on social media and email marketing, such as member features, our calendar of events and upcoming activities.
• Coordinate our efforts to communicate key insights generated through our work by amplifying both small and big successes.
• Implement and coordinate all content curation, which may include: long-form editorial, campaigns, social media, website content, podcasts, e-newsletters, videos, and annual impact reports. You will also coordinate the process of other content creators/contributors (such as network members, team members, and/or board members.) If you have more content ideas to contribute, we would love to hear them!
• Deliver the end-to-end communication and marketing of our virtual and online events, including writing content, creating posters, working with our design agency, and amplifying our marketing efforts with partners, speakers, or other relevant stakeholders.
• Ideate new avenues to promote our events, resources, and opportunities to potential members, partners, and allies by mapping our audiences and coordinating with relevant players to get the word out.
• Work closely with the Community Choreographer and Membership Coordinator on member engagement by collecting member stories, encouraging members to amplify our brand, etc.
• Support the positioning of Pollinate Impact’s thought leadership as the unified voice for impact incubators in the Global South through content curation and partnership with strategic platforms and channels that can help amplify our work, such as Next Billion, YourStory, or media houses.
• Coordinate the organization’s thought leadership through providing a structure to who is doing what and when, developing blog guidelines, and proofreading content.
• Support the positioning of Pollinate Impact and our voice globally to key stakeholders, such as funders, bilaterals, iNGOs, academics, government/policy makers, and impact investors on behalf of our members.
• Implement the consolidation and publication of our annual impact report in collaboration with the Pollinate Impact team, by compiling impact metrics, assigning and keeping to timelines, collecting photos, and coordinating with the design agency to develop the overall look and feel of the report.
• Engage with our web and design agency (who are on a monthly retainer) for all website updates by assigning priorities, providing written content where needed, reviewing design concepts, and guiding the overall vision for both the website and all creative materials generated.
• Implement all creation and implementation of marketing and communications for our annual gathering to execute before, during, and after the event, including developing the content for a separate event website (or webpage), creating branding opportunities for sponsors, running promotions to sell tickets, mobilizing attendees, etc.
• Ensure the communications budget stays on track and be accountable for executing strategy within budget parameters.
• Attend Stewardship Group and Network Secretariat meetings to gain context and understand the priorities of the Network in order to offer recommendations for how the marketing and communications efforts can underpin and support these priority areas.
Support Programming, Community Engagement & Local Brand Building – 25%
• Support Pollinate Impact’s programs & Community Building efforts in your geography by assisting with event logistics, moderating virtual collaboration sessions, or representing the Network at an event to generate leads and interest for our work.
• Build strong rapport with the impact entrepreneurship community in your region (i.e., incubators, investors, entrepreneurs, NGO, and corporations, etc.) to increase membership, partnerships, and overall awareness of the mission and work of Pollinate Impact.
• Explore emerging opportunities to strategically promote Pollinate Impact and reach new audiences through the development of new partnerships and events.
You are a great fit for the team at Pollinate Impact, if:
• You’re a firm believer in the power of impact entrepreneurship to address the world’s most complex challenges. You’re enthusiastic about leveraging your skills to help cultivate a robust entrepreneurship ecosystem by backing accelerators and incubators in the Global South.
• Working in a small, global team with a big vision excites you. You’re adaptable and eager to evolve based on fresh knowledge and insights. Your flexibility shines as you willingly step in to support the team whenever necessary, maximizing your contribution.
• You are highly self-driven and excel working in independent and remote work settings. Having ownership of goals energizes you, and you thrive on rapidly learning when faced with new challenges.
• You work smartly. You strive to find better, simpler and quicker ways to achieve your results, and embrace a learn-as-we-go attitude. You’re communicative, trustworthy, and able to meet and anticipate deadlines.
• Building trusted relationships and creating value for others is your thing! People love interacting with you and seeking your help as you are a perceptive listener who empathizes well and effortlessly builds connections with a wide range of stakeholders.
This position is perfect for you, if:
• You have 3-5 years of experience managing communications and marketing strategy and content across various platforms (including newsletters, flyers, social media, website, video, etc)
• You have proven experience successfully implementing an existing communication strategy. You can turn a strategy into an execution plan by effectively being a strategic big picture thinker while translating big ideas into action.
• You have strong copywriting and copy-editing skills, and have the ability to incorporate humor and trends into comments and posts.
• You have proven experience managing various social media and communication channels (from mainstream social media, to podcasts, newsletters, etc.).
• You possess a good level of understanding of digital and social platforms, emerging social technologies/platforms, and internet trends and culture and you understand how communication approaches vary across geographies, cultures, and contexts – particularly for sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia, and Southeast Asia.
• You have past experience in successfully overseeing website design consultants ensuring the website is always up-to-date and relevant to the voice of the organization.
• You’re very well-organized. You are detail oriented and have excellent organizational skills. Nothing falls through the cracks with your leadership.
• You have a good eye. You have a strong aesthetic sense and detail eye in design and the ability to ensure brand alignment in all communication materials.
• You have proven experience in upholding and enforcing brand guidelines in communication approaches.
• You’re very curious. This gives you the ability to identify patterns and opportunities and strategically align these to communication strategies.
• You have experience working in an environment where drawing insights and driving thought leadership through communication strategies was central to your role.
• Understand that driving social media isn’t always 9-5 and can plan your time and schedule around peak moments and different time zones.
• You possess an understanding of digital tools in order to thrive in a fully remote environment.
• Experience in the social impact, development, or start-up entrepreneurship ecosystem is a must for us!
What You Can Expect
• Impact. It’s all about making a positive impact in the Global South. At Pollinate Impact, you are expected to make meaningful contributions to shape the future of the incubation industry.
• Excellence. We strive for excellence and best-in-class experiences in everything we do. We are innovative and obsessed with the details that matter.
• Culture. We place great emphasis on building an organization that is open, welcoming, challenging, and fun.
• Ownership. We don’t believe in micro-management, but we do believe in setting and getting goals. You will own goals, and have freedom under responsibility.
• Diversity. We are American, Kenyan, Indian, and growing – prepare for an international experience!
Our organization has operated as a remote team since 2017. We invite applicants based in sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia, or Southeast Asia to apply as this will be a remote position. Regional and international travel across sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia, and Southeast Asia may be required 4-5 times per year.
• The salary range for this position is $15,000 – 20,000 USD annually, commensurate with experience.
• Please note that the salary listed for this consultant position does not include health insurance coverage or taxes. As this role is for consultants within our fully remote team, benefits such as health insurance, tax withholding, and other traditional employment benefits are not provided. Compensation and contracting will be discussed further during the hiring process.
o Additional Support and Work Facilitation provided:
o Work Tools: Up to $1,000 reimbursement for laptop, mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc. to be able to get your work done efficiently, renewable every 3 years.
o Connectivity: Home internet and/or airtime for up to $50 per month, on a reimbursable basis.
o Get Out of the House: Up to $100 per month to access a co-working space or a coffee and meal while working at a coffee shop or restaurant to give you a change of scenery
o Home Office Set Up: Up to $300 reimbursement to improve or set up your home office, renewable every 2 years.
o Responsible Leave: You have the freedom to take as much time off as needed, provided it does not compromise your responsibilities and commitments. We empower our team to make responsible decisions about their time, promoting a culture of trust and accountability.
Ideal Start Date: March 2024. We will be flexible based on the availability of the selected candidate.
· Submit your application by filling the form under https://bit.ly/PI-CommsNinja
· Make sure your CV is tailored to this opportunity, bringing out relevant experiences and achievements. (PDF format only)
· Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and we’ll extend an offer as soon as we identify the right candidate.
· The process will include written exercises, interviews and reference checks.