Donor Retention Lead
Skoll World Forum
Action Against Hunger leads the global movement to end hunger. We innovate solutions, advocate for change, and reach 24 million people every year with proven hunger prevention and treatment programs. As a nonprofit that works across 50 countries, our 8,300 dedicated staff members partner with communities to address the root causes of hunger, including climate change, conflict, inequity, and emergencies. We strive to create a world free from hunger, for everyone, for good.
Action Against Hunger USA is part of the Action Against Hunger International network. As an independent NGO, Action Against Hunger USA currently manages operations in 8 countries: Kenya, South Sudan, Somalia, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Zambia and Haiti. Action Against Hunger-USA has over $100 million in programs, and approximately 1,800 permanent staff based in New York City, Washington D.C, Nairobi, and country offices. Additional growth is anticipated.
This new role will be an integral part of the Donor Marketing team. The Donor Retention Lead will have oversight for all donor renewal, retention and reactivation programs as well as spearhead new non digital acquisition programs. Currently our acquisition efforts are via digital channels. The candidate will be highly data driven and have expertise in traditional well as digital direct response marketing programs.
Action Against Hunger currently has a hybrid work policy that requires at least two days in the office per week and proof of COVID-19 vaccination. The organization has offices in New York City and Washington, DC.
Purpose: Leads the Action Against Hunger donor lifecycle to renew and increase retention rate of those giving <= $9,999 to meet industry standards.
Engagement: Works closely with the Associate Director of Donor Marketing, Digital Lead, Fundraising Systems, Donor Marketing and Communications teams as well as occasionally with international colleagues.
Delivery: Plans and leads the implementation of data-led strategies to renew and retain donors.
Essential Job Duties
1) Provides strategic oversight for all donor retention programs related to mass market supporters including:
- Monthly (THRIVE) donors
- One time digital and offline supporters
- Midlevel donors ($500-$9,999)
- Peer to peer fundraisers
2) Improve donor retention to meet industry standards
- Using internal and external data sources, analyze, set targets and develop a strategy for all mass market and mid-level supporters
- Work with team to roll out plan to improve retention
3) Provides strategic direction for all future non-digital acquisition efforts e.g. street/door to door canvassing
4) Ensure all consultants provide high quality work and meet the service levels agreed upon
5) Oversee the development of KPIs and marketing dashboards
- Work in collaboration with Fundraising Systems team to develop appropriate KPI reporting and dashboards to set targets and measure success
6) Manage the Donor Relations function
- Ensure the provision of timely donor care to all supporters
- Work with the Donor Relations Associate, Donor Marketing Officer and Systems team to develop automations to support donor relations efforts
- Ensure caging vendor meet mandated service levels
7) Other duties as required
- Supervises a team of three which will grow to five later in 2024
IV. Fiscal Responsibility
V. Physical Demands
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within short time frames under stressful situations in the context of a moderately noisy office with interruptions.
To travel to the field, the employee must attest to a level of physical fitness capable of enduring physically difficult, highly stressful situations which may include the necessity to walk long distances, to eat a limited diet and/or to reside in potentially uncomfortable housing or tents.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
VI. Working Conditions, Travel and Environment
The duties of the job require regular job attendance at least five days per week. Must be available to work outside normal office hours or on the weekends as required by contact with the missions, mission security, or other obligations.
Must be able to travel as required for standard domestic and international business travel as well as to the missions if appropriate. While visiting the field, the employee may be exposed to precarious settings under high security risks and/or very basic living conditions and outside weather conditions, as well is to infectious diseases.
VII. Gender Equality Commitments & Zero Tolerance to Abuse
Foster an environment that reinforces values of people of all genders equal access to information.
Provide a work environment where people of all genders must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
Promote a safe, secure, and respectful environment for all stakeholders, particularly for children, beneficiaries, and members of staff.
Help to prevent any type of abuse including workplace harassment and sexual abuse and exploitation.
Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, religion, race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
Value and respect all cultures.
VIII. Required Qualifications
Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s desirable
IX. Required Skills & Experience
- 5-7 years of relevant experience
- Supervisory experience preferred
- Analytical and passionate about data driven strategies
- Excellent project and vendor management skills
- Entrepreneurial and driven
- Expertise in monthly giving & retention strategies for one time and monthly supporters
- Very proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Raiser’s Edge or Salesforce CRMs
- Experience with digital fundraising platforms like Funraise, Classy etc
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Passion for Action Against Hunger’s mission
- Flexible and open to change within a growing team
- Collaborative and nurturing