Business Development Manager
Skoll World Forum
Water For People Canada is a charitable, nonprofit, international humanitarian organization dedicated to the development and delivery of clean, safe water and sanitation solutions in developing nations. It is the Canadian equivalent of the U.S.-based charity, Water For People. Canadian water industry professionals established Water For People Canada in 1995, to support and promote the mission of Water For People in Canada among the public and the water community.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
The Business Development Manager for Water For People Canada will be a creative, strategic and passionate leader who will be central to developing and executing Water For People Canada’s fundraising strategies. As the Business Development Manager in Canada, you will be directly employed by DEEL, a firm that provides hiring and employment services for companies hiring international employees; however, you will work and be supported by the Water For People (USA) Donor Impact team and the Board of Directors of Water For People Canada to develop and execute strategies aligned with Water For People’s fundraising philosophy.
The primary objective of this position is to significantly multiply fundraising revenue within Canada, and thus the impact to Water For People’s global mission to promote the development of high-quality drinking water and sanitation services, accessible to all, and sustained by strong communities, businesses, and governments. The Business Development Manager will identify new prospects emphasizing gifts of CAD$10,000 or more targeting individuals, corporations, foundations, and institutions, from one-time giving to multi-year partnerships, allowing us to accelerate this impact in alignment with the global Destination 2030 goals. The Business Development Manager is a new position at Water For People Canada, which allows for a high degree of freedom, making an entrepreneurial mindset and self-motivation valuable assets.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL
• Work closely with the Water For People Canada Board of Directors and the Donor Impact (fundraising) team at Water For People Gobal Hub on developing, managing, and executing our overall growth strategy that expands our network of major gift donors and strategic partners and creates a sustainable business model for our programs.
• Develop, test, and manage strategies to retain and grow Water For People Canada’s individual, corporate, foundation, and institution giving thorough prospect research and developing compelling solicitation opportunities and thoughtful stewardship of the donor.
• Prioritize development of relationships for major gift opportunities in Canada while also collaborating with Water For People Global Hub to identify potential cross-functional revenue streams for Water For People Canada.
• Create, implement, and manage tactics to maximize the use and impact of the Donor Management System (Canada Helps & Raiser’s Edge) as it pertains to fundraising, donor engagement, and contact management.
• Use the donor management system to ensure that prospects are appropriately logged and tracked through the steps of being qualified, assigned, solicited, closed, and stewarded.
• Maintain a prospect pipeline, track movement, and own strategies for engaging and maximizing prospects and donors.
• Input, manage, and update all funding opportunities and identified prospects in the Water For People Global Hub donor management software, Raiser’s Edge.
• Coordinate with the Water For People Global Hub grants unit (Strategic Integration team), in coordination with the supervisor, as proposal development support is needed for grants.
• As needed, represent Water For People Canada at networking functions to expand awareness of the organization and Water For People’s mission.
• Collaborate with the Donor Impact team and Water For People Canada board to develop and encourage a culture of gratitude, ensuring that all supporters are thanked, acknowledged, engaged, and inspired.
• Use strategic, relationship focused fundraising to develop impact focused asks that secure funding from new and existing partners and maximizes donors to their greatest giving potential.
• Work with the volunteer Committees throughout Canada to provide information, resources, and support for their activities and events as a thought partner and fundraising resource, in conjunction with Water For People’s Community Engagement Manager. As feasible, attend events as Water For People Canada representative.
• Stay current on major Water For People program initiatives through engaging in learning opportunities, reading, and actively participating as part of the Water For People Global Hub Donor Impact team.
YOU WILL EXCEL IN THIS ROLE IF YOU HAVE
• Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications and/or non-profit management or other related discipline, or equivalent experience.
• Progressive and relevant experience in business development/fundraising/partnerships.
• Proven track record of successfully identifying prospects, developing engagement strategies, and closing gifts.
• Demonstrated success in aligning organizational financial targets with funding opportunities.
• Experience building and managing a donor portfolio that includes high-capacity individual, corporate, foundation, and organizational supporters.
• Analytical skills with strong conceptual skills coupled with an excellent communications acumen.
• Conceptual thinking with the ability to approach problems from a holistic perspective; see connections, linkages, and interdependencies.
• Demonstrated performance in organizations where candidate has successfully developed and operationalized strategies for fundraising.
• Advanced computer proficiencies in Canada Helps and/or Raiser’s Edge and MS Office 360 suite.
• Experience working with and across virtual teams to keep team members connected, achieve goals, and build relationships.
• Fluent written and spoken English language skills.
BONUS POINTS IF YOU HAVE
• Experience in the field and familiarity with international development.
• Additional foreign language skills.
MORE ABOUT THIS ROLE
• Ability to travel 10% of the work time as required within Canada, USA, and potential international travel to program countries.
• Ability to work outside typical offices hours at times to collaborate across multiple time zones.
• Remote / Home office from Southern Ontario.
Note: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.
Anticipated salary range: CAD $89,000 – 100,000 per year.
The actual salary will be determined based on experience and other job-related factors.