External Communications Lead
Skoll World Forum
The External Communications Lead is a critical role that oversees and executes Proximity Designs communications to both international and local audiences. It’s a position that requires both strategy and creativity, and will be suited to someone who’s equally comfortable writing a compelling social media post as they are mapping audiences and developing a media plan. The External Communications function works closely with the Donor Relations team, ideating and creating engaging content that keeps existing and potential grantees connected to our work and the experiences of Myanmar’s farmers.
The External Communications Lead will help thoughtfully raise the profile of Proximity Designs while using excellent storytelling and engaging content to keep our platforms running and growing. You will help kick-start our speaking opportunities and media engagements while ensuring they are aligned with our objectives and intended narrative. You will mentor and train one team member, and will report directly to the Head of Marketing and Communications. We are looking for a communications professional that is motivated to support Myanmar’s smallholder farmers as we help them grow more food, move out of poverty and build a more sustainable legacy for future generations.
This role requires living and working in a region close to Myanmar and preferences will be made for candidates who can live and work in Myanmar.
Once You’re Here, You Will
- Develop and implement strategic communications plans to raise awareness and promote Proximity Designs to key stakeholders.
- Steer Proximity’s evolving brand narrative across all platforms and activities, including issues preparedness and crisis communications.
- Oversee our Proximity channels including the website, social media pages, blog, etc. and create engaging content that interests our audiences, reflects our tone of voice and delivers on our objectives.
- Revamp our Proximity Designs website to ensure it reflects our current strategic approach and offerings.
- Write or commission freelance writers for longer-form articles and blog posts.
- Oversee Proximity’s thought leadership approach, pitching and securing international speaking opportunities, and preparing team members for engagements.
- Oversee in-person and digital events and lead media relations activities with international outlets.
- Work with Creative Services and external creative partners to develop communications materials including videos, graphic visuals, social media content, website elements, etc.
- Build strong relationships within the organization to support external communications work and provide communications support as needed.
- Mentor and build the capabilities of an External Communications Manager.
- You have at least five years of work experience in communications, journalism or public relations.
- You are an excellent storyteller and sharp writer, who understands how to deliver content that reflects a brand’s tone of voice.
- You have experience securing media placements and speaking opportunities (in international markets).
- Experience juggling multiple projects, deadlines and requests at one time and a keen attention to detail.
- You possess the traits of any successful communicator: adaptability, creativity, empathy for your audience, strong ability to learn and work in teams.
- Interest in having a key role in an organization that impacts Myanmar’s local communities.
- You are perfectly fluent in spoken and written English.
- Experience training executives in public speaking.
- Experience revamping and maintaining a website.
- Experience in crisis/issues preparedness or change management communications.
- Able to live in and work out of Yangon, Myanmar.
You’ll earn a competitive salary, with medical benefits, and incredible opportunities to develop your career. You can expect an annual impact bonus, an amazing office with the forward-thinking people and world-class training opportunities through Proximity School.
You’ll get to see more of the world, with the potential to attend conferences and events to keep your skills sharp.
And, ultimately, you’ll have the opportunity to change lives in Myanmar for the better, while doing groundbreaking work.
Proximity Designs is tackling globally important issues at the nexus of climate change, deep poverty, food insecurity, inequality and political conflict. We do this by helping hundreds of thousands of rural people care for their soils, grow more food, earn better incomes and build resilience against climate change. We address a critical government and market failure, by designing and delivering products and services needed to make farming families more productive, profitable and environmentally sustainable. We offer our low-income customers a suite of innovative and affordable farm solutions such as micro-irrigation systems, bio-fertilizers and bio-pesticides, soil health testing kits, on-call crop protection services and farm loans.
Over the past 19 years, we’ve generated USD 782 million in additional income for 1.2 million poor farming households across rural Myanmar. With this income increase, farmers can invest in their future: education for their children, more nutritious food, better healthcare and investments in their farms or other village enterprises.
How to Apply
If you are interested in joining us, please click on the application link below to submit your application.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis without regards to race, sex, color, national origin, sexual orientation, age, or marital status, and therefore interested candidates are encouraged to apply.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.