Acting Head of Journalism Products
Skoll World Forum
Location: Remote, UTC +0 to UTC +4
Duration: 4 months (with a possibility of renewal)
Deadline: Open until filled
The Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project (OCCRP) is a growing, global nonprofit media organization that is reinventing investigative journalism for the public good. By developing and equipping a global network of investigative journalists and publishing their stories, we expose crime and corruption so the public can hold power to account. We see a future where organized crime and corruption are drastically reduced and democracy is strengthened. Our global team includes editors, researchers, data engineers, security specialists, administrators, technologists, and strategists, each with areas of in-depth expertise.
About the Role:
Due to staff illness, OCCRP is seeking a dynamic and driven individual to step into the role of Acting Head of Journalism Products. This critical position ensures that our journalism products, including the occrp.org website and immersive storytelling remain vibrant, innovative, and reader-centric. During the temporary tenure, you’ll be the torchbearer for our digital products, ensuring that we present our journalism effectively and innovatively.
· Champion and advocate for the audience’s needs; be the voice of our readers.
· Coordinate with core editors to design engaging content aimed at expanding and diversifying our audience.
· Strategically plan and manage the OCCRP website, ensuring alignment of both editorial and non-editorial interests.
· Develop, uphold, and manage the website’s roadmap, assessing required resources and timelines.
· Manage a small team of technical specialists day to day.
· Conduct user research, understanding our readers and their evolving requirements.
· Monitor and analyze success metrics after story launches or introduction of new technical features.
· Ensure smooth processes and tools for both editorial and non-editorial teams.
· Collaborate closely with design, editorial, and data teams for interactive content development.
· Advocate for user experience, SEO, and commendable development practices throughout the organization.
· Spearhead insights and analytics, owning the technical domain for data collection and tool procurement.
Required Skills and Experience:
· Prior experience in a similar role, preferably within a journalistic or digital publishing environment.
· Demonstrable experience in managing digital products, especially websites and mobile applications.
· Strong understanding of user experience, SEO best practices, and modern development methodologies.
· Effective collaboration and negotiation skills, with a track record of working across various teams.
· Strong analytical abilities, with a knack for deriving actionable insights from data.
· Experience in managing and guiding a diverse team.
· Proven experience in vendor management, including procurement and project management.
· Familiarity with the journalistic landscape, especially investigative journalism.
· Experience in interactive content creation and storytelling.
· Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
· A proactive approach, with an ability to adapt and drive change.
To apply, please email a cover letter and CV/resume including examples of previous work to jobs(at)occrp.org
All applications must be submitted in English. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Whilst we have internal goals to reply to unsuccessful candidates, we regret that the high number of applicants greatly exceeds our capacity to respond to each person. We apologize that we will not be able to reply to any unsuccessful applicants.As an equal opportunity employer, OCCRP values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We offer competitive compensation and benefits and encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, medical conditions, family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics. If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process, please contact hr(at)occrp.org