Director, Marketing & Communications
Skoll World Forum
Director, Marketing & Communications
Reports to: Vice President, Connect & Champion
Status: Full Time, Exempt
Location: Palo Alto | U.S. Remote consideration
Salary: $116,102 and $174,152 per year
Reporting to the Vice President, Connect & Champion, the Director, Marketing & Communications is primarily accountable for increasing the impact of the Foundation’s marketing, communications, storytelling, and audience- and network-building work. To this end, the Director will develop and oversee the strategic communications, editorial, marketing/audience/network projects and campaigns that support the Foundation’s goals and priorities.
The Director will work across Foundation and partner teams in a highly integrated, coordinated, and efficient way, leveraging the organization’s thought leadership, platforms, and audience to build the Foundation’s influence and elevate the visibility and increase support for Skoll’s community of Awardees and grantees.
- Develop, maintain, and oversee marketing, communications, audience engagement, and distribution strategies and workstreams to support the Foundation’s objectives.
- Increase visibility of the Foundation and its work, overseeing editorial/thought leadership and branding opportunities that support the Foundation’s strategic, brand, and impact goals.
- Work with Skoll Awardees, grantees, and partners to support their communications and audience development goals.
- Manage the Public Engagement and Communications team.
Qualifications and Abilities
Excellent marketing/communications, organization, and project management skills, including:
- Demonstrated ability to plan schedules and resources to meet objectives. Well-honed project management skillsdexterity with developing project management plans.
- Ability to juggle, prioritize, and execute against multiple deadlines, stakeholder requests, and day-to-day operations.
- Technical marketing skills: Experience segmenting, targeting, and activating audiences for on- and offline campaigns and convenings.
- Editorial: Excellent writing and copyediting skills and understanding of communications/campaign strategies and tactics.
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize complex concepts and convey them in simple, accessible language.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and think innovatively and ability to work sensitively and effectively with diverse people and communities across geographies, sectors, and perspectives.
Technical/design skills, including:
- Website content management system (CMS) skills (WordPress, etc).
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications. Working knowledge of design software (e.g. Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.) a bonus.
- Experience with Salesforce (or other CRM), email automation, and segmentation tools and techniques.
- Experience designing and maintaining project management tools and systems (e.g. Asana).
Experience and Education
- Minimum of 7-10 years of experience in a marketing/communications role, including 3-5 years in a leadership role.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or advanced degree in marketing/communications or related field a plus.
- Demonstrated experience with inter-and intra-team coordination and collaboration.
- International experience in the social change sector (social entrepreneurship, social innovation, social enterprise/impact investing) a plus.
Offers are based on the candidate’s years of experience and the Foundation’s practice of upholding salary equity within the Foundation. The base salary range for this position is between $116,102 and $174,152 per year. The salary range will vary for candidates outside the Foundation’s primary office in Palo Alto, California.
The Foundation requires all staff, vendors, and visitors to be fully vaccinated against SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19.
About the Skoll Foundation
The Skoll Foundation seeks to catalyze transformational social change by investing in, connecting, and championing social entrepreneurs and other social innovators who together advance bold and equitable solutions to the world’s most pressing problems.
Jeff Skoll, the first employee and first President of eBay, created the Skoll Foundation in 1999 to pursue his vision of a sustainable world of peace and prosperity for all. The Foundation is part of the Jeff Skoll Group, which also includes Participant (formerly known as Participant Media) and the Capricorn Investment Group.
The Foundation aspires to fundamentally shift the trajectory on urgent global problems including pandemics and global health systems, racial justice, climate change, effective governance, and inclusive economies. The Foundation does this by connecting social innovators around the world, investing in their solutions, and championing their work. The Foundation is committed to finding new ways to streamline its operations and support the organization as it drives transformational social change globally. Learn more about the Skoll Foundation at www.skoll.org.
The Skoll Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace and encourage our employees’ differences in age, color, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, language, national origin, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, veteran status, and other characteristics that make our employees unique. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Click the “Apply” button to submit your resume and cover letter. In your cover letter indicate your passion for the mission and your fit for the role. We will contact qualified applicants.
Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the ADA and related state laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in how things are normally done, ensuring an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on the company. Please contact email@example.com if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Skoll, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.