Senior Manager, Information Technology
Skoll World Forum
Are you ready to use your information technology, project management, and team leadership skills to expand the impact of a pioneering social organisation and correct the vision of millions of low-income program participants so they can work, learn, stay safe, and care for their families?
The senior manager of information technology provides IT leadership to scale up VisionSpring’s eyeglasses dispensed and Vision Access Programs across eight countries in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa. The person in this role manages IT infrastructure operations and system integrations, oversees day-to-day internal customer support and cybersecurity, and participates in IT department strategy and planning. The senior manager develops team members through coaching, mentoring, and supporting stretch assignments in order to build VisionSpring’s IT capacity.
The senior manager of information technology supervises five IT team members and works closely with cross-functional teams and consultants in nine countries—Bangladesh, Ghana, India, Kenya, Nigeria, Uganda, the United States, Vietnam, and Zambia. This position reports to the global director of information technology and must be located in India.
- You thoroughly understand the power of information technology and find satisfaction in implementing best-in-class IT systems and supporting the teams that rely on them.
- You are project management expert. You excel at identifying and managing all of the components and details that are critical for success, including people, and deliver on time and on budget.
- You are a skilled people leader and truly care about your team. You listen to and guide them while remaining decisive and action-oriented. In a diverse, growth-stage organization you create opportunities for development and increased responsibility.
- You work independently and serve as the in-house expert for all things IT, but you are not a solo performer. You enjoy building relationships with cross-functional teams, IT professionals, programmers, and consultants to gain insight into every business function and devise innovative IT solutions that improve organisational effectiveness.
- You are innately driven and rigorous in all that you do, from disciplined, strategic thinking to well-structured organization and efficient process development. You can track execution and spot problems that signal the need for course correction.
- VisionSpring is creating access to quality eyewear, everywhere. Clear vision creates opportunities for increased learning, work, safety, civic participation, and quality of life.
- As a social organisation, social change motivates us first. Our focus on social impact metrics serves and advances our mission objective—to increase functioning, productivity, and income earning potential for our low-income program participants by correcting refractive error and presbyopia with eyeglasses.
- We are working to transform the systemic dysfunction that has failed to deliver eyeglasses—a 700-year-old technology—to 1.1 billion people in need of vision correction, most of whom live on less than $4 a day.
- We serve low-income program participants who expect high-quality eye screenings and eyeglasses to deliver the immediate and tangible benefits of vision correction.
- We run our organisation on both metrics and social impact measures. We use a range of processes and practices to get the job done.
- We believe in scaling our impact, not our organisation. We are a lean team of doers.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
IT Team Management
- Lead and manage IT team of five people and two consultants.
- Facilitate monthly IT department review meetings, including scheduling, agenda setting, taking meeting notes, and establishing and following up on action items.
- Manage cybersecurity lead to ensure the security of company systems and data.
- Work with the global director of information technology to direct the activities of IT team members and support their professional development.
- Participate in hiring, training, and performance evaluations for the IT team.
IT Project Management
- Lead, facilitate, and track project deliverables using Agile methodologies.
- Lead source code management, user acceptance/adoption, and tools selection.
- Develop SOPs and work instructions.
- Oversee password maintenance.
- Prepare reports on the status of IT projects, ensuring timely and accurate distribution of information, documentation, and issue resolution to all appropriate team members.
Internal Customer Support
- Establish and maintain SLAs.
- Ensure IT team provides timely and complete solutions to resolve support tickets.
- Provide advanced support to internal customers across multiple locations and time zones as needed.
- Oversee the selection, implementation, and maintenance of hardware, software, and other technology resources.
IT Department Strategy & Planning
- Work closely with the global director of information technology to develop an IT strategy and budget supporting VisionSpring’s aspiration to serve 2.5M people by 2025.
- Collaborate with VisionSpring departments to ensure that technology resources are aligned with the needs of the business.
- Facilitate the development and implementation of IT work plans aligned to organisational strategy.
Software Application Development & Systems Integration
- Plan and execute feature releases, including product charter, scope definition, requirements gathering, project planning, change control, risk management, and reporting.
- Interact with users and translate their needs into maintainable configurations, extensions, and customizations.
- Translate business requirements into technical documentation and artifacts.
- Break down requirements into user stories, run the stories with stakeholders, and define prioritization.
- Create program workflow diagrams.
- Manage projects using Agile and/or waterfall methodologies.
- Lead integration among various systems.
- Manage projects through all phases of their complete SDLCs.
- Ensure QA/QC is performed consistently on an effective schedule.
- Minimum of 8 years of professional experience in IT operations and technical/help desk support; minimum of 4 years of experience leading IT teams and projects.
- Prior responsibility for teams of at least 5 people.
- Excellent written and spoken English communication skills.
- Minimum of 3 years of project management experience, using Agile and waterfall methodologies, and production support.
- Experience managing projects through all phases of their complete SDLCs.
- Experience providing effective internal customer support and translating business requirements into actionable IT plans and documentation.
- Extraordinary follow-through, attention to detail and deadlines, and a strong personal sense of accountability.
- Willingness to travel up to 20% of time within India.
- Preference will be given to candidates with any of the following areas of experience: (1) Software development/programming; (2) Feature release planning and execution; (3) Database programming using RDBMS databases like Oracle, SQL Server, etc.; (4) Wireframe and prototype solutions; (5) GitHub; (6) Zoho Sprints; (7) Microsoft Azure and IIS; and/or (8) Salesforce.
- Salary based on breadth and depth of relevant experience and education.
- Competitive benefits, including health insurance and generous vacation time.
- We want to know more than just what you have done. We want to know who you are. What are the passions and talents that draw you to this role?
- Please update your CV/résumé to include a phrase or sentence describing the business of each organisation where you have worked. Applications without this information are disadvantaged in the process.
- Please submit a complete application, including a thoughtful cover letter and CV/résumé, to https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/Details/1831861/VisionSpring-Inc/Senior-Manager-Information-Technology.
- Please note, only candidates invited to interview will be contacted.
- At VisionSpring, diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly aligned with our core value to advance equity. Our mission is predicated on removing a fundamental barrier to full economic and social participation—uncorrected blurry vision. The values that underpin our mission energize our commitment to a diverse and inclusive team. A diverse team also allows VisionSpring to approach problems with nuance and develop unique insights that drive an outsized positive impact in the world. We actively recruit, develop, and retain talented people from diverse backgrounds and support everyone in being exactly who they are. VisionSpring is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes people from all experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.