Director of Digital Services
Skoll World Forum
About Building Markets
Building Markets’ mission is to build inclusive economies for small businesses so that all people have the opportunity to rise. We do this by opening opportunities for small business owners affected by crises or marginalization to transform their lives and communities.
Building Markets addresses inequality around the world by advancing inclusive economies that work for all. We do this by opening opportunities for small business owners — who fuel more than 70% of the world’s jobs — to transform their lives and communities. Since 2004, Building Markets has combined its deep local knowledge, comprehensive data, and global networks to build confidence and strength in more than 27,000 small business owners affected by crises and marginalization. From securing $1.4 billion in contracts or loans to creating more than 74,000 full-time jobs in places where they’re needed most, Building Markets is elevating small businesses as engines of enduring social impact and economic growth.
To achieve our mission, we concentrate our efforts on four primary outcomes:
- Increased revenue for small businesses from communities affected by marginalization.
- Increased buyer confidence in our target small businesses.
- Job creation for people held back by marginalization.
- Secured working capital for our target small businesses.
As we move ahead, we will use four primary channels to deliver impact:
- Digital, online marketplace: Building Markets’ existing digital services (business directory, tender directory, and export platform) have provided a critical connection point between small businesses and potential buyers.
- Bespoke small business data: We will build on our current data capture processes and quality controls to ensure that our data is a high-quality resource for buyers and suppliers and a rigorous source of evidence for policy development.
- Market-access training: Building Markets’ bid training has been proven to be highly effective in enabling small businesses to win procurement opportunities. We will standardize and develop this training service so that it can be delivered directly to small businesses and create an offering to corporations and governments needing implementation support for their procurement programs.
- Access to necessary working capital: Many of the small businesses we interact with are looking for working capital. This capital represents a binding constraint to small business growth as it reduces their ability to bid on larger volumes of work.
The Director of Digital Services Position
As part of Building Markets’ 2023-2028 organizational strategy, we have an ambitious agenda to accelerate the impact for small businesses in Latin America, the Middle East, West Africa, Asia, and the US.
Building Markets is seeking an experienced and hands-on technologist who is passionate about using data, technology, and partnerships to create scaled impact for small businesses from marginalized communities across the globe.
Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Digital Services will work closely with country offices to shape, test, iterate, and scale our digital services; support the development and testing of new market-based business models; and use data and technology to offer high-quality services to small businesses, governments, financial institutions, and large corporations. The ideal Digital Services Director will be as excited about new data on private sector development as they are about designing and testing new approaches to increase uptake of Building Markets digital services. They will be entrepreneurial and a strong team player.
Digital Services Development
- Define user needs (including small businesses, buyers, academic researchers, and partners) and market positioning within each of our markets of operation.
- Use appropriate development methodologies (including agile or similar) to deliver specific developments to marketplace features.
- Partner with the Research and Impact team to establish clear protocols for data integration and quality assurance.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders from a variety of teams to shape marketplace capabilities and developments.
- Help establish and track progress towards organization-wide program and impact goals.
- Work with the CEO, COO, and Country Directors to develop new revenue generation strategies, based on digital services.
- Retain and manage external contracting services as needed.
- Lead and support the development of funding proposals and new initiatives to support strategic goals.
- Engage with the Board of Directors, primary funders, and other key external stakeholders around organizational impact and plans for the future.
- Represent Building Markets externally to existing and potential funders, donors, and partners.
- Participate in conferences and events to help raise Building Market’s profile with technical and non-technical audiences.
- Collaborate with the senior team members to build a culture of respect, kindness, effectiveness, and joy across Building Markets.
- Develop and influence organizational decisions to make Building Markets effective in generating impact and a great place to work.
- Lead and participate in organization-wide strategic initiatives, as agreed with the CEO.
- 12+ years of professional experience in systems integration, technology solutions development, preferably focusing on economic development.
- A strategic and results-driven thinker who has experience working at both the strategic and operational levels – we expect all team members to roll their sleeves up to achieve our organizational goals.
- Depth of experience in partnering with diverse teams in the public and private sectors to execute on shared priorities.
- Experience in raising funds for new initiatives and programs from bilateral, multilateral, and foundation funders.
- Experience in working in a range of revenue models, from grants and contracts, to fee-based services.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Degree in computer science, business administration, economics, or a related field.
- Experience in nonprofit senior leadership is a plus.
- Professional fluency in Spanish, Arabic, or French is a plus.
Location & Travel:
This position can be based anywhere in the US, Türkiye, or Colombia. Candidates should have employment authorization to work in their chosen location.
The Director of Digital Services should expect to travel approximately once per quarter, internationally or domestically.
Annual Salary Range: $140 – 165,000 USD
Interested candidates should email their CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position will remain open until filled.