Consultancy: Literature Review and Mapping of Interventions Addressing Child, Early, and Forced Marriage and Unions in 4 countries in the Horn of Africa
Skoll World Forum
INTRODUCTION TO GIRLS NOT BRIDES
Girls Not Brides is the only global organisation uniquely focused on creating and sustaining a worldwide movement to end child marriage and ensuring that this movement leads to tangible change for the girls at risk or affected by the practice. We are a network of over 1,600 civil society organisations in over 100 countries working in partnership to end child marriage.
Our vision is a world without child marriage where girls and women enjoy equal status with boys and men and are able to achieve their full potential in all aspects of their lives. Our vision challenges deeply embedded social norms that harm the lives of girls, women and their communities.
The Horn of Africa is facing a severe crisis driven by climate change-induced drought and protracted humanitarian crises in some states. As a result, families in the region are grappling with desperate choices to survive.
The impact of this crisis on children is particularly alarming, with over 1.8 million children urgently requiring treatment for life-threatening severe acute malnutrition. In Somalia alone, more than 213,000 people are at risk of famine, according to the Famine Early Warning Network.
Amidst these dire circumstances, child marriage and female genital mutilation (FGM) rates are rising across the Horn of Africa. Families, struggling to cope with economic hardships, are marrying off young girls to older men in exchange for dowries, either to support the family financially, reduce the number of mouths to feed, or to improve the bride’s prospects in a more affluent household.
Addressing child, early and forced marriage and unions (CEFMU) in this context requires a comprehensive approach that includes implementing fully-funded laws and policies, ensuring access to education, justice, social protection, and health services, and meaningful inclusion of girls in decision-making processes.
Girls Not Brides seeks a consultant or a team of consultants to conduct a literature review and mapping of current interventions, organisations and movements that are intervening to reduce child marriage, directly or indirectly in four countries in the Horn of Africa sub-region: Ethiopia, Somalia, South Sudan and Sudan. The consultant (s) will focus on a mapping and analysis of current interventions related to local stakeholders’ involvement, government control and resources and humanitarian actors’ interventions.
The literature review and mapping report will serve as an advocacy tool to influence policy decisions at regional, national and global levels to address the various bottlenecks and challenges affecting the implementation of ending child marriage interventions in this sub-region. The various findings and recommendations of the report will also facilitate and inform Girls Not Brides internal strategy on CEFMU in the Horn of Africa. This will greatly contribute to collective efforts that are being undertaken to implement measures to reduce child marriage in this sub-region.
The consultant (s) will develop a detailed methodology to guide the literature review and mapping assessment.
The final comprehensive report should:
- Contain an executive summary (mandatory).
- Be analytical (both quantitative and qualitative).
- Be structured around the key issues/entry points highlighted below and related findings.
- Include identified opportunities, challenges, a theory of change and recommendations for Girls Not Brides, a list of key stakeholders and recommendations.
The two key deliverables from this consultancy are:
- Literature Review on CEFMU interventions in the Horn of Africa sub-region which include research, evidence, interventions and policies relevant to the key considerations above.
- A comprehensive mapping of key actors working on child marriage in four countries in the Horn of Africa, Ethiopia, Somalia, Sudan and South Sudan. Key actors will include governments, donors, humanitarian actors, UN agencies and civil society organisations or movements. This mapping report will include a proposed theory of change and recommendations for Girls Not Brides interventions in the Horn of Africa, taking into account working in humanitarian, conflict and climate-crises affected contexts.
The consultancy is expected to start on 12 September 2023 and the final report due on or before 10 November 2023. The assignment is expected to take 30 working days from the date of signing of the contract.
The selected Consultant (s) will be expected to complete the following key deliverables within the indicative timeframe:
Deliverables & Indicative Timeline
- Initial consultation between the consultant(s) and the Girls Not Brides team to agree on the assignment and development of detailed work plan (1 DAY)
- Submit to Girls Not Brides an inception report showing methodology, tools, plans and realistic work plan for job completion (2 DAYS)
- Literature review draft developed and submitted to Girls Not Brides (5 DAYS)
- Consultant incorporates feedback and delivers final draft (2 DAYS)
- Mapping of key actors in CEFMU in 4 countries: Ethiopia, Somalia, South Sudan and Sudan, including a database of key actors, their physical address, and contacts (focal persons) within the organisation responsible for overseeing CEFMU interventions (10 DAYS)
- Develop a final mapping report incorporating a theory of change and recommendations for Girls Not Brides to inform their strategy to engage in the Horn of Africa sub-region to advance collective action to address CEFMU (6 DAYS)
- Submission of draft mapping report, incorporating literature review findings and consultant thereafter incorporates feedback from Girls Not Brides for a final report (2 DAYS)
- Editing and submission of a comprehensive report (including a PowerPoint Presentation) to Girls Not Brides containing key recommendations (2 DAYS)
Total Consultancy Period 30 days
This consultancy may be undertaken by an individual or group; group proposals are especially encouraged.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Demonstrated expertise and a strong track record in conducting literature reviews, research, and mapping assessments on the on issues related to child marriage, gender, and development in the Horn of Africa region or similar contexts.
- Substantive experience in developing detailed and rigorous methodologies for conducting literature reviews.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Familiarity with the challenges and opportunities faced by girls and women in humanitarian, conflict, and climate-crises affected contexts in the region.
- Proven experience in conducting literature reviews and mapping assessments, encompassing both qualitative and quantitative data.
- Proficiency in employing a theory of change approach to understand complex social issues and design effective interventions.
- Track record of completing deliverables on time and in line with required project scope.
- Commitment to safeguarding.
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- Experience working on issues related to gender-based violence in fragile states or humanitarian contexts.
- Familiarity with CEFMU programming or research in the region is an asset.
- Familiarity with the Horn of Africa region, including an understanding of its political, social, and cultural context, as well as the key actors involved in child marriage interventions in Ethiopia, Somalia, Sudan, and South Sudan.
- Familiarity with feminist research principles and practices.
Girls Not Brides is committed to safeguarding all children, young people and adults at risk with whom our staff and representatives work and interface. Any contractual engagement with Girls Not Brides may be subject to the satisfactory completion of a background check and a criminal records check which can include but is not limited to: an overseas police record check, a Disclosure and Barring Service Check (for those based in the UK) or an International Criminal Record Check (if applicable).
How to apply
The application deadline for this consultancy is 23:59 EAT on Tuesday 15 August.
We invite interested individual consultants and teams of consultants to apply via the Online Application Portal on the Girls Not Brides website.
Please include CV(s) and a detailed narrative and financial proposal outlining how the consultancy will be conducted, inclusive of a work plan, timelines and cost. Please include links or examples of previous relevant work. Proposals in the range of USD 8,000-USD 10,000 are encouraged. Please send all submissions in English.