Grant Writer for the President
One Acre Fund
About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies 1 million smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. Our 8,000+ team is drawn from diverse backgrounds and professions. With operations across six core countries in Africa, we make farmers more prosperous by providing quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural training to improve harvests. On average, the farmers we serve harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
To learn more about our work, take a look at our Why Work Here blog for more information.
About the Role
We are looking for an experienced writer to become an important member of One Acre Fund's industry-leading Business Development team. You will partner with our incoming President Andrew Youn as a lead proposal and report writer, and report to the director of the President's fundraising portfolio. Your first 6 months will focus on building fluency and intensive writing mentorship, then you will spearhead writing and project management for 2-3 complex writing projects at any given time, requiring dynamic prioritization. Prior professional writing experience is required, as well as business acumen and a background in project management; business development experience is helpful but not essential.
- Write grant reports and proposals. Our writing team crafts powerful prose about One Acre Fund's work and customers, with emphasis on logical flow, hard data, and farmer-centric perspectives. You will partner with our President and his team to tailor writing to each donor through a collaborative drafting process, with a focus on detail-orientation, creativity, and responsiveness.
- Manage complex projects. You will oversee all stages of each writing project. You will establish workplans, coordinate input from multiple team members (including building budgets in close collaboration with our finance department, gathering data and context from field teams, and occasionally reaching out directly to donors), and ensure error-free work, typically for 2-3 overlapping projects at any one time.
- Invest in program fluency. You will develop a deep working knowledge of One Acre Fund's operating context, model, results, and future plans. For individual projects, you will also often conduct additional research into potential donors or specific aspects of our work.
- Provide ad hoc writing/research support to President
- Comply with team-wide writing tools and systems
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
Across all roles, these are the general qualifications we look for. For this role specifically, you will have:
- Minimum 8+ years of total professional experience, including 5+ years of relevant experience – either writing/managing complex grants or leading complex field programs in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Can share 2-3 writing samples that demonstrate ability to draft readable prose: concise, structured into a logical flow of ideas, deriving power from simplicity rather than jargon.
- Can share 2-3 concrete examples of initiating, managing, and completing major projects in partnership with senior executive team members.
- Genuine commitment to rural communities. You are passionate about providing opportunity to the hardest-working farmers on the planet.
- Language: English
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible
Any US East Coast major city
Health insurance, housing, and comprehensive benefits
This role is only open to citizens or permanent residents of the United States of America
22 April 2024
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion (DEI), and anti-racism are deeply connected to our organization’s mission and purpose. One Acre Fund aspires to build a culture where all staff feel consistently valued, represented, and connected – so that our team can thrive as professionals, and achieve exceptional impact for the farmers we serve.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.