People & Culture Lead (US & Europe)
One Acre Fund
About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies 1 million smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. Our 8,000+ team is drawn from diverse backgrounds and professions. With operations across six core countries in Africa, we make farmers more prosperous by providing quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural training to improve harvests. On average, the farmers we serve harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
To learn more about our work, take a look at our Why Work Here blog for more information.
About the Role
At One Acre Fund, we treat all things 'People' as our single most important factor in delivering prosperity to 10 million hard-working farm families by 2030. You will improve HR outcomes for our 35+ Non-Program Country (NPC) staff in the US/Europe. You will report directly to our global HR manager, with an indirect reporting line to our NPC team lead. Your responsibilities will include keeping NPC legal entities organized and compliant, managing projects to support Non-Program Country team culture, and overseeing payroll execution. After building a foundation of people services, you will take on more complex projects on behalf of the Non-Program Country team.
Troubleshoot and resolve (33%) urgent HR, legal, and finance questions on behalf of the Non-Program Country team at One Acre Fund. Examples include:
- Set up registration and payroll for OAF in a new country
- Set up a new pension / retirement account provider for Non-Program Country staff
- Help a staffer transition from Kenya to a country in Europe, including new salary, benefits, and payroll
Create and maintain (33%) core HR and logistical support for all Non-Program Country staff. Examples include:
- Complete our annual US 401k audit
- Manage regular HR steps like new Non-Program Country staffing contracts
- Liaise with our finance team to complete regulatory filings for all Non-Program Country entities
Deliver projects (33%) that enhance the sustainability of Non-Program Country staff. Examples include:
- Complete a periodic review of Non-Program Country salaries against benchmarks to ensure they are market-competitive
- Complete the Non-Program Country's annual performance review and raise process
- Invest in Non-Program Country team culture through management of team connectivity activities
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
Across all roles, these are the general qualifications we look for. For this role specifically, you will have:
- 2-3 years experience in relevant HR / Finance roles preferred
- Familiarity with HR in the US, UK, France, and the Netherlands are especially helpful
- High proficiency in MS Excel / Google Sheets (can maintain complex spreadsheets)
- Fluent English required
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible
New York or Washington DC, US, preferred; remote locations on the East Coast of the United States possible
Base salary range: 60,000 - 70,000 USD/year
Health insurance, housing, and comprehensive benefits
This role is only open to citizens or permanent residents of the United States
September 1, 2023
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion (DEI), and anti-racism are deeply connected to our organization’s mission and purpose. One Acre Fund aspires to build a culture where all staff feel consistently valued, represented, and connected – so that our team can thrive as professionals, and achieve exceptional impact for the farmers we serve.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.