Software Engineer, Backend
Join Our Mission
Nexleaf Analytics is at the forefront of technological innovation, committed to safeguarding public health in low- and middle-income countries. Our cutting-edge solutions, including remote-temperature monitoring for vaccine cold-chain equipment, are operational in over 25 countries, fundamentally supporting vital health infrastructure.
Nexleaf is poised to expand its impact significantly in 2024 and beyond. Data on the performance and utilization of medical equipment is becoming increasingly available, but countries are struggling to integrate and apply this data for action. Nexleaf envisions a ‘Connected Clinic’ – a transformative concept aimed at fostering transparency, accountability, and enhanced health outcomes through the strategic use of data. We believe this approach will shape health services in a way that prioritizes local needs and sustainability, moving beyond donor-driven models to ones that truly resonate with the communities we serve.
As a Backend Software Engineer at Nexleaf you’ll help us achieve scale and impact by serving on a cross functional team that designs and develops the core backend code of our cloud-based service. This service collects and analyzes data gathered from the hardest to reach places on Earth and connects to tens of thousands of IoT/M2M devices across the globe. These data and services are accessed by users spanning Ministries of Health, global agencies, partner NGOs, and those working in remote, low connectivity environments.
To do this you’ll learn the architecture of our system, understand our business and product strategy, and work to improve existing services (and implement new ones), develop APIs, improve our backend architecture, test procedures, and documentation, all with a shared goal of helping the organization achieve its vision! You will also be a key partner alongside our frontend developers, designers and product managers in shaping the user centric product we are continuing to expand and create. Reporting to our Engineering Director, your responsibilities will include:
- Cross-functional Collaboration: Work collaboratively with product managers, designers, and other engineers to ensure the development of appropriate solutions for users' problems.
- Support in Technical Decision Making: Provide input on design and architecture decisions, working closely with senior engineers and managers.
- Design Decision Making: Make well-reasoned design decisions within your area, identifying potential issues, trade-offs, risks, and the appropriate level of abstraction.
- Problem Scoping and Troubleshooting: Scope problems and troubleshoot technical and operational issues with the support of senior engineers and managers. Expertly debug within your focus area.
- Backend System Development: Build and improve APIs, data pipelines, and backend systems, ensuring alignment with best practices and system goals.
- End-to-End Product Development: Work in partnership with frontend engineers to build comprehensive product features and functions from conception to roll out and support that meet user needs.
- Engineering Standards and Tooling: Follow and seek to improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes.
- Code Writing and Documentation: Write maintainable code, develop appropriate tests, and write documentation for key areas of focus.
- Production Deployment and Code Reviews: Participate in regular production deployments and conduct meaningful code reviews for team members.
We have a robust and professionalized development team, with extensive documentation, well defined processes and a modern stack that includes the latest versions of Python, Django, TypeScript, Angular, and all deployed to AWS. We use code reviews, containerized development environments (Docker), continuous integration, testing, and individual dev / staging environments. We also provide a choice of Linux, Mac or Windows development environments.