Impact Research Intern
Kiva is a global nonprofit, founded in 2005, with a mission to expand financial access and help underserved communities thrive. Kiva unlocks capital for borrowers through crowdfunded loans supported by individuals around the world. Lenders on Kiva can start with as little as $25 to support causes that matter most to them, whether that’s gender equity and support for women, refugees, climate change, small businesses, agriculture, and more. Since our founding, over two million people have invested $1.9 billion in real dreams and real opportunities, spanning more than 90 countries and 4.7 million borrowers.
Impact first - This is why we exist. This is the drumbeat we march to. Every day.
Extreme ownership - Own it; you, your relationships, your impact. Insist that others support you and hold you accountable.
Be curious and bold - Never stop learning. Question assumptions. Take Risks and dream big.
Inclusion. Equity. Diversity. - Without reservation and without caveat. In our hiring, in our workplace and in our impact in the world.
Honor and integrity - Do the most right thing in the most right way. Cherish diversity and respect each other.
Love and kindness always - Say what you mean. Mean what you say. And don't say it mean. Clarity. Courage. Kindness.
Since its founding, volunteerism has been an integral part of Kiva's foundation and success. As a Kiva Intern, you will contribute your passion, drive, ideas, and expertise to expanding our reach and impact while taking on immediate and significant responsibilities within your team. In addition to learning on the job, you'll partake in a variety of educational, social, and professional development workshops and events that will accelerate your professional growth while learning about Kiva and the non-profit, technology, and microfinance sectors.
Through this volunteer internship, we’re hoping to provide a high-caliber learning experience. With the completion of our internship program, you will take away many in-demand job skills. Additionally, all Kiva interns will gain exposure to foundational microfinance concepts and ongoing professional development tailored to your career goals. This position will also put you in contact with a wide array of employees around the world, giving you a jump start on networking opportunities.
Kiva is currently recruiting for our January 2024 through July 2024 internship class.
This Kiva internship is a 6-month, part-time (32 hours per week), United States-based, remote volunteer position.
Kiva places interns within most departments of the organization. During recruitment, we evaluate your application and interests to match you to a specific team that will leverage your talents while providing you with an opportunity to develop and grow.
Although Kiva Interns range in age and experience, a common theme among our participants is a "can do" attitude as well as a desire and willingness to dive in and get their hands dirty.
The Impact team is responsible for defining, measuring, analyzing, and sharing the social impact of Kiva, for both internal and external stakeholders. As Kiva continues to refine its model, the Impact team also plays a central role in testing and evaluating loan innovation toward deeper impact at scale through its input with Kiva’s strategy team and Labs innovation team.
Kiva Impact Interns will conduct varied desk research and data analysis to help inform Kiva's operations and strategy with an impact lens.
At this time, we can only consider applicants with authorization to work in the United States on a permanent, full-time basis; unfortunately we cannot provide visa sponsorship.
Key responsibilities include:
- This role will partly focus on assisting the impact team with key impact reporting needs, which often require simple data analysis skills
- Read and summarize literature related to how different interventions affect poverty alleviation and livelihood improvements
- Conduct and organize literature reviews to ensure Kiva has an informed, evidence-based perspective on each investment
- Collect, save, and review impact monitoring data
- Collect & analyze secondary data sources to help Kiva’s impact investing strategy
- Prepare data sets for quantitative and qualitative data analysis
- Support data analysis for key business questions around risk, cost, impact, and product design
- Data cleaning and data management
- Testing and refining impact metrics
- Creating dashboard visualizations of key impact-related measurements
- At least 21 years of age or older by January 16, 2024
- Able to commit to the full 6-months term
- Strong critical thinking, with an eye for detail and ownership for your work
- Enjoys problem-solving and relationship building
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Highly proactive and able to work independently
- Highly organized individual with an aptitude for working in a start-up environment.
- Intermediate skills in Google docs, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
What we offer:
- Professional development and skills workshops
- Access to Kiva’s network of Kiva Fellowship and Internship Alumni
- Optional participation in Kiva’s Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) and social activities such as happy hours and coffee chats
- References are gladly given for successful participants
Kiva's Internship is a part-time volunteer position, however, to help offset some expenses, Kiva will provide a modest stipend of $800 a month (before taxes) to its volunteers. Please note that the stipend is considered taxable income and we expect interns to do their own research as to how this may affect their personal/tax implications.
The weekly time commitment for a Kiva Internship is 32 hours per week, from January 16, 2024 - July 31, 2024. Please make sure you have the availability to commit for the entire internship period before submitting an application.
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva's culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
We will only accept applications directly from candidates. Kiva will not be responsible for any recruiting agency fees, absent a formal agreement.