Senior Manager, Strategic Partnerships
Kiva (kiva.org) is an international nonprofit with a mission to expand financial access to help underserved communities thrive. We run a global marketplace platform to crowdfund microloans for financially excluded entrepreneurs, farmers and students around the world. Through Kiva Capital, we serve as a bridge between large scale impact first investors and underserved populations. Our digital identity platform enables borrowers who don’t have a track record with traditional financial institutions to record and verify their financial history and gain access to less costly mainstream financial markets.
Our organization combines the culture and technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion and empathy of a non-profit to create impact and opportunity at global scale. Since 2005, we have raised more than $1.66 billion in loan capital for 4.1 million borrowers in 77 countries. Our lenders fund over $10 million in loans every month. With offices in San Francisco, Portland, New York, Nairobi, and Bangkok, Kiva's team includes 100+ employees and 400+ volunteers worldwide. Our team is growing as we pursue exciting new opportunities to create a financially inclusive world.
Impact first - This is why we exist. This is the drumbeat we march to. Every day.
Extreme ownership - Own it; you, your relationships, your impact. Insist that others support you and hold you accountable.
Be curious and bold - Never stop learning. Question assumptions. Take Risks and dream big.
Inclusion. Equity. Diversity. - Without reservation and without caveat. In our hiring, in our workplace and in our impact in the world.
Honor and integrity - Do the most right thing in the most right way. Cherish diversity and respect each other.
Love and kindness always - Say what you mean. Mean what you say. And don't say it mean. Clarity. Courage. Kindness.
This position is an integral part of Kiva's Strategic Partnerships (SP) team. The Senior SP Manager will be responsible for supporting the team to expand Kiva’s strategic partnership efforts with a focus. The main focus initially will be on developing a major gifts program for Kiva. This position will also support other key Kiva constituents including corporates and foundations. This position will be responsible for generating at least $1m in revenue annually. The position will report directly to the VP of Partnerships and will work closely with other members of the SP team, though the reporting structure may change as the team evolves.
The ideal candidate will want to grow into a Lead Relationship Manager role with Kiva who would manage 100+ relationships and own an annual revenue target of $3M+. This is an ideal role for a early-to-mid-career development professional on the cusp of becoming a standalone front-line fundraiser and relationship manager.
At this time, we can only consider applicants with authorization to work in the United States on a permanent, full-time basis; unfortunately we cannot provide visa sponsorship.
Key responsibilities include:
Strategy, Planning, and Support
- Generate new sales / partnership opportunities through research, strategic outreach, and active participation in microfinance, international development, marketing, enterprise sales, and funder networks and conferences.
- Manage multiple stakeholders’ requests and drive deliverables on an accelerated timeline.
- Build strong relationships both internally and externally.
- Collaborate with teams across Kiva in order to secure partnerships, including Kiva’s Executive Leadership Team, Marketing, Product, Engineering, Legal, Finance and the Impact Investments Team.
- Coordinate, support and speak at events to spread the word about Kiva’s portfolio.
- Maintain the Salesforce database with accurate funder records and information.
- Support overall team intel and research gathering.
- Support external and internal communications including drafting memos, grant writing, and ongoing reporting to ensure timeliness and high-quality relationships
- Develop pitch decks and concept strategy documents for new partners including creative ideas to engage their employees and consumers through lending on Kiva, as well as for Kiva’s evolving strategies around, Kiva Capital, Kiva Labs.
- Represent Kiva externally with poise and professionalism and exercise the judgment to know when other Kivan knowledge partners are needed
- Lead on the development of initiatives that are designed to identify, cultivate, and solicit major gifts from individual donors and organizations.
- Develop and implement strategies for identifying, cultivating, and soliciting major gifts from individual donors and organizations.
- Build and manage a portfolio of major gift prospects and donors, including researching and assessing potential donors, developing relationships, and making direct solicitations.
- Create and deliver compelling proposals and presentations to major gift prospects and donors, including outlining specific programs or projects for funding, recognition opportunities, and other incentives.
- Collaborate with other staff members, board members, and volunteers to identify and engage major gift prospects, and to ensure that major gift activities are aligned with overall fundraising goals and priorities.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records of major gift prospects and donors, including tracking interactions, gifts, and progress towards fundraising goals.
- Participate in fundraising planning and goal-setting activities, including contributing to the development of annual fundraising plans, budgets, and timelines.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of stewardship strategies for major gift donors, including ensuring timely and meaningful recognition of gifts and ongoing communication about the impact of their contributions.
- Stay current on trends and best practices in major gifts fundraising, including attending professional development opportunities and participating in relevant networks and associations.
Corporates and Foundation Support
- This position will support one or more SP Directors in their research, direct outreach, and partner engagement efforts.
- After gaining an intimate understanding of Kiva, transition to be the first point of contact and main liaison for a portfolio of corporate partners, and other partners, as needed.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and excellent listening skills
- Experience managing a major gifts program at an international non-profit
- Adept at using Google Suite, PowerPoint, Word, and Excel
- At least 7 years of experience and 5 years in business development and/or major gifts focused on corporates, foundations, and/or high net worth individuals.
- Must be independent and trustworthy to take on and manage relationships, while also being a team player and communicative with a broad set of stakeholders
- Collaborative approach to working with internal teams across Kiva in order to coordinate and serve as translator and champion for opportunities including with Senior Management, Product and Engineering, Legal, Finance, Impact Investments, and Marketing teams
- Comfortable juggling multiple stakeholders’ requests and driving deliverables on an accelerated timeline
- Sound judgment; ability to represent Kiva externally with poise and grace
- Experience working with databases, specifically Salesforce
- Results and detail-oriented, extremely organized, and able to multi-task - ability to juggle multiple priorities simultaneously and take proactive initiative while working within a team dynamic
- Experience living or working internationally, particularly in a developing country context
- Minimum 8 years of work experience in a fast-paced, growth-oriented organization(s), specifically in a non-profit development role or for-profit sales experience, with a significant portion of your past portfolio(s) including working with corporations
- Track record of building successful employee engagement and/or consumer engagement campaigns for corporations and/or track record of securing six-figure grants and donations from corporations and foundations
- Experience with Salesforce
What we offer:
- An opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the world
- Friendly, supportive, and adventurous environment with a team of engaged colleagues
- A comprehensive, industry-leading benefits package including health, dental and vision insurance, parental leave, professional development, 401k matching, generous PTO, and more.
- Opportunities to connect with and learn from colleagues and partners around the world
- Salary range: $95K - $110K; a final offer will be dependent upon a candidate’s location, skills and experience.
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva's culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
We will only accept applications directly from candidates. Kiva will not be responsible for any recruiting agency fees, absent a formal agreement.
Something looks off?