Sr. Manager, HR Program & Project Management
ABOUT KHAN ACADEMY
Founded in 2008, we are a nonprofit because we believe education is a human right. Our mission is to provide a free, world-class education to anyone, anywhere. Through our research, we know that to achieve our mission, we must better understand and focus on historically under-resourced (HUR) communities in the US to guide our work. Our focus on providing equitable solutions to HUR communities helps ensure we close gaps in education that benefit all learners.
Our students, teachers, and parents come from all walks of life, and so do we. Our team includes people from academia, traditional/non-traditional education, big tech companies, and tiny startups. We hire great people from diverse backgrounds and experiences because it makes our company stronger. We value diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging as necessary to achieve our mission and impact the communities we serve. We know that transforming education starts in-house with learning about ourselves and our colleagues. We strive to be world-class in investing in our people and commit to developing you as a professional.
Khan Academy is looking for a strategic and passionate Sr. Manager, HR Program & Project Management, to drive excellence in delivering key People Operations (POps) initiatives and programs. You are an experienced HR professional and strategic thought partner who enjoys collaborating with team members and various stakeholders. You will streamline workflows and drive efficient processes while creating an excellent experience for stakeholders and team members. You will track and stabilize projects and help coordinate efforts across the different POpsTeam functions to increase our impact. You will be the connector for critical problem identification, solution development and change management/project implementation. You thrive in ambiguous and changing environments and will demonstrate the flexibility needed as this role continues to evolve to cater to the ongoing business needs and priorities.
- Create alignment and drive consensus with key partners and internal teams in the design, refinement and implementation of People programs, processes and systems.
- Lead and manage HR projects and programs from initiation to completion, ensuring they are executed on time and within budget. This includes defining project scope, objectives and deliverables, developing detailed project plans, and communicating progress.
- Champion HR-related change management initiatives by providing communication, training, coaching and support to help facilitate high stakeholder adoption while minimizing disruption to the business.
- Serve as the HRIS POC responsible for accurate data management of personnel records through the entire employee life cycle. Manage detailed data entry and processing of job-related changes like manager moves, relocations, transfers, promotions, and other employee information.
- Collaborate with the People Operations team to coordinate first-line HR support for employee inquiries regarding benefits, job changes, and other lifecycle processes.
- Drive efficiencies in the HR Technology stack; specifically consolidating redundant systems and maximizing full utilization of current technologies.
- Partner with cross-functional stakeholders (Compliance, IT, Finance, Legal, Benefits, Leave of Absence, and Payroll) to provide project & program management expertise & support.
- Own People Operations data analytics & reporting; build out robust dashboards that leverage automation from HR technology systems and facilitate user self-service; produce monthly and quarterly HR reports with insights & recommendations from the data.
- Identify and proactively address business needs and offer solutions.
- Lead continuous improvement efforts to optimize the HR processes and systems that touch all phases of the employee-lifecycle, including applicant tracking, payroll, benefits, career development, and offboarding.
- Partner with internal stakeholders and external vendors to ensure smooth delivery, high adoption, and effective administration of People programs, including employee and manager self-service.
WHAT YOU BRING
- Motivated by Khan Academy's mission “to provide a free world-class education for anyone, anywhere.”
- Proven cross-cultural competency skills demonstrating self-awareness, awareness of others, and the ability to adopt inclusive perspectives, attitudes, and behaviors to drive inclusion and belonging throughout the organization.
- 10+ years of professional experience with enterprise-wide HR Program/Project/Process Management
- A history of successfully managing and completing projects of medium-large complexity. You're able to balance a number of simultaneous goals and responsibilities within the established project constraints.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills (both verbal and written) which you can adapt for a variety of online audiences.
- Self-starter comfortable working both autonomously and collaborating with teams.
- Proficiency with HR Technology systems (i.e. ADP, Greenhouse, Lattice, etc…) and project management / collaboration tools (i.e. Slack, Asana, Miro, etc..).
- Ability to fully own assigned programs / projects, gain input from stakeholders, monitor effectiveness, and provide appropriate status updates.
- Demonstrated business acumen, and ability to utilize data insights to tell the story.
- Strong attention to detail with experience in end-to-end process mapping.
- Adaptable, flexible, well-organized, and creative.
- Demonstrated ability in taking risks, challenging the status quo, and working under ambiguous circumstances to deliver impactful results.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build relationships and influence change across all levels of the organization.
- Strong follow-through skills and ability to resolve issues promptly.
- Professional HR certification (SHRM or HRCI) is desired.
- Project management and/or change management certification is a plus!
PERKS AND BENEFITS
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team extremely well!
- Competitive salaries
- Ample paid time off as needed – your well-being is a priority
- Remote-first culture - that caters to your time zone, with open flexibility as needed, at times
- Generous parental leave
- An exceptional team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to do your best
- The chance to put your talents towards a deeply meaningful mission and the opportunity to work on high-impact products that are already defining the future of education
- Opportunities to connect through affinity, ally, and social groups
- And we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life
At Khan Academy we are committed to fair and equitable compensation practices, the well-being of our employees, and our Khan community. This belief is why we have built out a robust Total Rewards package that includes competitive base salaries, and extensive benefits and perks to support physical, mental, and financial well-being.
The target salary range for this position is $124k-$155k USD / $155k-$193k CAN. The pay range for this position is a general guideline only. The salary offered will depend on internal pay equity and the candidate’s relevant skills, experience, qualifications, and job market data. Exceptional performers in this role who make an outsized contribution can make well in excess of this range. Additional incentives are provided as part of the complete total rewards package in addition to comprehensive medical and other benefits.
MORE ABOUT US
The People Operations Team mission is to “foster a high-performance, inclusive culture and great place to work that enables employees to deliver their best work toward attaining Khan Academy’s mission while fulfilling their personal aspirations and career ambitions.” Our motto is Valuing People - Maximizing Potential!
- Sal’s TED talk from 2011
- Sal’s TED talk from 2015
- Our team: http://www.khanacademy.org/about/the-team
OUR COMPANY VALUES
Live & breathe learners
We deeply understand and empathize with our users. We leverage user insights, research, and experience to build content, products, services, and experiences that our users trust and love. Our success is defined by the success of our learners and educators.
Take a stand
As a company, we have conviction in our aspirational point of view of how education will evolve. The work we do is in service to moving towards that point of view. However, we also listen, learn and flex in the face of new data, and commit to evolving this point of view as the industry and our users evolve.
Embrace diverse perspectives
We are a diverse community. We seek out and embrace a diversity of voices, perspectives and life experiences leading to stronger, more inclusive teams and better outcomes. As individuals, we are committed to bringing up tough topics and leaning into different points of view with curiosity. We actively listen, learn and collaborate to gain a shared understanding. When a decision is made, we commit to moving forward as a united team.
Work responsibly and sustainably
We understand that achieving our audacious mission is a marathon, so we set realistic timelines and we focus on delivery that also links to the bigger picture. As a non-profit, we are supported by the generosity of donors as well as strategic partners, and understand our responsibility to our finite resources. We spend every dollar as though it were our own. We are responsible for the impact we have on the world and to each other. We ensure our team and company stay healthy and financially sustainable.
Bring out the joy
We are committed to making learning a joyful process. This informs what we build for our users and the culture we co-create with our teammates, partners and donors.
Cultivate learning mindset
We believe in the power of growth for learners and for ourselves. We constantly learn and teach to improve our offerings, ourselves, and our organization. We learn from our mistakes and aren’t afraid to fail. We don't let past failures or successes stop us from taking future bold action and achieving our goals.
We insist on high standards and deliver delightful, effective end-to-end experiences that our users can rely on. We choose to focus on fewer things — each of which aligns to our ambitious vision — so we can deliver high-quality experiences that accelerate positive measurable learning with our strategic partners.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. We value diversity, equity, and inclusion, and we encourage candidates from historically underrepresented groups to apply.