Hindi Language Expert
ABOUT KHAN ACADEMY
Khan Academy is a fast-paced, nonprofit startup on a mission to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere. We already reach millions of students every month and are growing rapidly. We’re building a library of world-class instructional and practice resources that empowers learners. We localize our videos and exercises in multiple regional languages. We’re seeking a language expert to support our Math and Science offering in Hindi.
ABOUT KHAN ACADEMY INDIA
Khan Academy India aims to deliver a world class user experience that is locally relevant to learners in India and is enabled by a strong on-the-ground team and operations. Our learning system is mastery based, which allows students to master key concepts at a pace that is right for them before moving on to more challenging content. From serving under 500,000 learners in 2016, we are now serving almost 4 million learners a month across our websites, apps and youtube channels. These learners include both independent learners accessing us at home and teacher directed learners in schools. Our focus is to reach the underserved by making our content accessible in local languages and by working with large public school systems. Khan Academy is available in Hindi, Punjabi, Marathi, Hinglish, Kannada, Gujarati, Bangla, Tamil, and Assamese.
ABOUT THE INDIA CONTENT TEAM
Our content team in India includes the content creators who make thousands of awesome videos, articles, and practice questions, aligned with the Indian curriculum, to help both teachers and students. We are actively working on content localization in multiple regional languages as well, which means the content you help create will reach a wider number (both nationally and globally), thereby multiplying the impact.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for an expert who is fluent in both Hindi and English (fluency = speaking, reading and writing). In addition, the role will involve reviewing and improving Khan Academy's Math and Science content in Hindi medium- so good knowledge of these subjects (Grade 10 level) is required.
This is a full-time, 12 months contract position.
- Reviewing and Editing KA Math & Science Hindi content and/or creating and localizing new content (text & videos) as needed; keeping quality metrics in mind (Contextualisation, cohesion, rigor, clarity, pedagogical approach, etc.)
- Deep-dive into Khan Academy usage data (qualitative and quantitative) to gather user feedback and incorporate it into content.
- Collect on-ground feedback on content by interacting with state teachers and incorporating the feedback into the content.
- Localizing the content available in English in your respective language keeping its originality intact.
- Reading through original material, reviewing it and rewriting it the target language in case needed, ensuring that the meaning of the source text is retained.
- Along with State Board and NCERT Books using specialist dictionaries, thesauruses and reference books to find the closest equivalents for terminology and words used.
- Researching on relevant phraseology to find the correct translation.
- Proofreading and editing final translated versions on the basis of the basic quality parameters (Meaning, Readability, Compliance, Terminology, Consistency and Linguistics).
- Prioritizing work to meet deadlines.
- Retaining and developing knowledge on specialist areas of translation.
- Adapting the Khan Academy’s Style Guide for your language (Hindi).
- Developing glossary for the specific terminologies to be used in Khan Academy’s localization process and continuously update it with new terminology.
- You must be a native speaker of the Hindi Language.
- Knowledge in Math and Science, and a great command of English and Hindi language (if you have studied in Hindi medium curriculum in school, that’s an added advantage).
- Ability to generate / handle translation / transcreation and review from English to the target Indic language (Hindi).
- Excellent written skills with strong command of both English and the target language.
- Have a strong eye for detail.
- Eagerness to acquire new knowledge through extensive research.
- Be able to learn and evolve by accepting feedback from peers and colleagues.
- Knowledge of various CAT Tools and their functions is preferred.
- Previous experience in content creation is a MUST.
- Teaching or tutoring experience at the K10 or K12 level, giving you a deep empathy with teachers and classrooms (2+ years of teaching experience preferred).
- You’re a strong communicator, equipped with different strategies for delivering effective feedback. and for articulating how to make great ideas and content even better.
- A true passion for education and a desire to change the world for the better.
This is a remote working opportunity. You will have the liberty to work from your home. Some travel may be required. (about 2 or 3 times a quarter)
PERKS AND BENEFITS
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team like a for-profit.
- Competitive pay (Expect 16-18 LPA)
- Remote-friendly workplace, i.e. option to work from home
- Fun team events and board game nights!
- Sal’s TED talk from 2011
- Sal’s TED talk from 2015
- A glimpse of our team: http://www.khanacademy.org/about/the-team
- A glimpse of our content created: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylgb8FFMgd4
- Our Hinglish content in action: http://bit.ly/khanacademyyoutube
HOW TO APPLY
- Attach your resume in the space provided below.
- Please address the below-mentioned task and attach your response in the space provided below (ask to share a google link drive to PDF)
- Please note that applications without an appropriate link to the task will be ignored.
Task: Translating Khan Academy exercise from English to Hindi
(Copy paste this link if the hyperlink is not working to access the task : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vH1QViJkOpCXhWcNEsqBQypiD4mJ9W6egxkCYDbmLXk/edit )