Director of Finance and Operations - Djibouti
FHI360 is currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Director, Finance and Operations for an upcoming USAID-funded opportunity in Djibouti entitled, “Basic Education Activity”. This position will be based in Djibouti and is contingent upon award.
This anticipated five-year program in Djibouti will support the delivery of foundational learning in the early grades to improve learning outcomes. USAID Basic Education has three primary objectives 1) Improved access to education with special emphasis on disadvantaged and vulnerable children 2) Improved quality of teaching and learning 3) Improved Ministry of Education capacity to practice results-based management and oversee the basic education system.
The Director of Finance and Operations (DFO) is responsible for supporting the Chief of Party in staff, operational, and financial management. In close coordination with the CoP, the DFO will oversee administrative, operational, finance, and HR teams and be responsible for effective utilization of resources including staff with a diverse range of capabilities. Additionally, S/he will provide operational oversight on financial and human resources management, efficient procurement and logistical services, contracts and grants, asset management, ICT, general administration, and will lead efforts to ensure compliance with all applicable regulations as well as timely and effective delivery of program activities.
- Coordinate closely with COP to lead financial and contractual aspects of the project;
- Responsible for implementing and enhancing internal organizational and financial processes;
- Ensure compliance with US Government and Government of Djibouti rules, regulations and policies regarding contracts and grants, procurements, financial management, etc.;
- Manage the planning and implementation of field activities, including oversight of budgets, grants, operational plans, reporting, and procedural and financial compliance;
- Ensure efficient management and utilization of resources in accordance with applicable FHI 360 and donor policies and procedures;
- Provide guidance and supervision to program staff and managers who are charged to implement activities within the assigned area of expertise;
- Collaborate with FHI 360’s country team, Regional Office and headquarter-based staff to ensure the project is implemented according to organization and industry best practices, program framework, and regulations;
- Contribute to timely and accurate reporting;
- Supervise the recruitment, hiring, and management of operational/financial local staff and consultants; and
- Support performance management and professional development of direct reports, including ongoing feedback, coaching, and career support.
- Travel within the Country for project-related activities as necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree (MA preferred) in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, Social Sciences, or related field OR a Bachelor’s accounting degree with 8 years’ experience;
- Minimum of 8+ years of progressively responsible operational and financial management experience in support of large-scale international development programs;
- Proven leadership in the administration of similar-sized international donor-funded projects;
- Updated understanding of USG-funded awards and related rules/regulations – experience with Cooperative Agreements required and with Contracts is an added advantage.
- Budgeting, financial management, and policies and procedures oversight experience, especially related to USAID programming preferred;
- Effective strategic planning and project management skills;
- Ability to build positive working relationships with local communities, government officials, and donor representatives;
- Ability to analyze and establish effective and supportive cross-program coordination, organizational procedures, and management systems;
- Good analytical, numerical and problem-solving skills;
- Must have demonstrated ability to work in complex environments, work across different cultures, and manage diverse teams to deliver impact within agreed timelines;
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision;
- Experience in the education sector in Djibouti or the region strongly preferred;
- Fluency in English is required as well as Excellent report writing, analytical, and communication skills, including oral presentation skills.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
We offer competitive compensation and a package of exceptional benefits. Please visit the FHI 360 Career Center at http://www.fhi360.org/careers for a list of all open positions.
FHI 360 is an employer with equal opportunity and affirmative action. FHI 360 is committed to providing equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or veteran status in policies, programs, or activities.
FHI 360 will not charge candidates a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
Our values and commitments to safeguarding: FHI 360 is committed to preventing any type of abuse, exploitation and harassment in our work environments and programs, including sexual abuse, exploitation and harassment. FHI 360 takes steps to safeguard the welfare of everyone who engages with our organization and programs and requires that all personnel, including staff members and volunteers, share this commitment and sign our code of conduct. All offers of employment will be subject to appropriate screening checks, including reference, criminal record and terrorism finance checks. FHI 360 also participates in the Inter-Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme (MDS), facilitated by the Steering Committee for Humanitarian Response. In line with the MDS, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any substantiated findings of sexual abuse, exploitation and/or harassment during the applicant’s tenure with previous employers. By applying, job applicants confirm their understanding of these recruitment procedures and consent to these screening checks.
FHI 360 will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws.
FHI 360 will never ask you for your career site username or password, and we will never request money, goods or services during the application, recruitment or employment process. If you have questions or concerns about correspondence from us, please email CareerCenterSupport@fhi360.org.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360's Career Portal.