Senior Youth Employability and Livelihoods Coordinator - USAID/Burma All Youth Learning (AYL) Activity
Senior Youth Employability and Livelihoods Coordinator – USAID/Burma All Youth Learning (AYL) Activity
FHI 360 is a global development organization, with a rigorous, evidence-based approach to human development. Our team of professionals includes experts in health, nutrition, education, economic development, civil society, environment, and research. FHI 360 operates from over 60 offices with more than 4000 employees in the United States and around the world. Our commitment to partnerships at all levels and our multi-disciplinary approach allows us to have a lasting impact on the people, communities, and countries we serve by improving the lives of millions. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Senior Youth Employability and Livelihoods Coordinator for an upcoming USAID-funded opportunity in Myanmar entitled All Youth Learning (AYL). Given the current political situation in Myanmar, the position’s location will be determined and assigned based on security. Preferred location is Myanmar but could potentially include Thailand. This position is contingent upon successful award and final USAID approval of the candidate.
The anticipated USAID/Burma All Youth Learning (AYL) Activity is a 5-year activity that will seek to expand educational opportunities for disadvantaged youth (10-29 years old) to receive quality foundational and livelihoods-oriented education and training, with a particular focus on Myanmar’s out-of-school and conflict-affected youth, and to provide other necessary and relevant wrap-around support. The Activity will consider the enabling environment for youth employability and will work to forge linkages with businesses, industry, local employers, and communities in areas where youth reside to ensure that AYL training and skills development are relevant for local contexts, and they respond to employer and community needs. AYL will support non-state education systems and providers in their work to offer education to disadvantaged youth and aim to strengthen their capacity to educate youth as well. Ensuring equity and diversity of beneficiaries and devising strategies to reach the most disadvantaged and marginalized will be top activity priorities.
The Senior Youth Employability and Livelihoods Coordinator will coordinate and oversee wide-ranging and innovative activities that forge linkages with businesses, industry, local employers, and communities, including civil society actors, non-governmental organizations, and community development institutions, in areas where youth reside to ensure that training and skills development under AYL are relevant and respond to local needs. They will oversee interventions to ensure youth are aware of, prepared for, and linked to local opportunities. The coordinator has a strong understanding of labor markets in Myanmar and prospects for youth employment and income generation. They are also deeply aware of the risks youth face when accessing employment opportunities in Myanmar including forced labor practices, child labor, and labor in illicit and/or dangerous industries and will promote the integration of youth protection strategies into AYL programming.
- Lead engagement activities with businesses, industry, and local employers in project implementation areas;
- Explore, document, and support opportunities for youth engagement in AYL priority employment and entrepreneurship sectors;
- Build capacity and support local partners to connect with local employers and integrate skill building based on local market needs;
- Provide technical assistance to education and training stakeholders and build their capacity to engage in public-private partnerships for skill building programs;
- Support the integration of youth protection strategies into AYL learning programs, particularly as they relate to employment;
- Provide training and support for businesses, industry, and local employers to implement youth-inclusive strategies;
- Develop annual project work plans in collaboration with the AYL Team;
- Work with the AYL Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning team to assess private sector engagement and youth inclusion in the workforce; and
- Prepare reports relating to youth inclusion in employment and entrepreneurship per AYL reporting framework and guidelines.
- Minimum 6 years’ experience in youth-focused programming
- Master’s Degree in economics, finance, business, public administration, education, science, or related development field
- Previous experience in public-private sector engagement, youth economic empowerment, etc.
- Experience in training, capacity building, advocacy, and outreach
- Experience in donor funded programs, USAID experience preferred
- Familiarity with workforce readiness and/or youth development programs preferred
- Ability to collaborate effectively with program staff and partners
- Written and oral proficiency in English and Burmese. Other ethnic languages are also highly desirable.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time. We offer competitive compensation and a package of exceptional benefits. Please visit the FHI 360 Career Center at http://www.fhi360.org/careers for a list of all open positions.
FHI 360 is an employer with equal opportunity and affirmative action. FHI 360 is committed to providing equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or veteran status in policies, programs, or activities.
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
Our values and commitments to safeguarding: FHI 360 is committed to preventing any type of abuse, exploitation and harassment in our work environments and programs, including sexual abuse, exploitation and harassment. FHI 360 takes steps to safeguard the welfare of everyone who engages with our organization and programs and requires that all personnel, including staff members and volunteers, share this commitment and sign our code of conduct. All offers of employment will be subject to appropriate screening checks, including reference, criminal record and terrorism finance checks. FHI 360 also participates in the Inter-Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme (MDS), facilitated by the Steering Committee for Humanitarian Response. In line with the MDS, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any substantiated findings of sexual abuse, exploitation and/or harassment during the applicant’s tenure with previous employers. By applying, job applicants confirm their understanding of these recruitment procedures and consent to these screening checks.
FHI 360 will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360's Career Portal.