Regional Governance Specialist
About FHI 360:
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Governance Advisor for the FtF Ethiopia Community Nutrition Activity.
The Regional Governance Specialist will provide technical and programmatic direction to support the Food and Nutrition Strategy (FNS) and Seqota Declaration regional implementation and planned transition from Regional Foo and nutrition coordination office to Regional Food system and Nutrition Council (FNC) structures. S/he will coordinate closely with the Regional Health Bureau and will provide direct support to the newly emerging Regional FNC. S/he will oversee and guide the work of zonal Coordinators. S/he will lead the multisector nutrition coordination in the regions and will bring established connections with regional government counterparts. S/He will be expected to work closely with the Food System and Nutrition implementing Sector Bureaus at the regional level and to a large extent with the Regional Health Bureau, Zonal Health Departments and Woreda Health Offices including food system and nutrition implementing Bureaus. The Specialist will be well versed with the issues around the management and coordination of food system and nutrition programs by the GOE and the functions of each level of Government structure. The person works closely and in an integrated manner with technical and programmatic staff at regional and lower level to ensure smooth delivery and reporting of governance activities and outcomes.
Location: Dire Dawa (Covering for DD Town Administration and Somali region)
- Provide technical and programmatic leadership in the design and implementation of the project supported governance activities.
- Provide technical support for the design and implementation of the multisectoral nutrition and governance strategy and action plan based on assessment findings, and national food system and nutrition strategy and guidelines.
- Contribute to the design of evidence-based approaches to strengthen community-level multisectoral nutrition coordination and budgeting and integrate within project activities according to the strategy and action plan.
- Provide technical support in the creation and dissemination of multisectoral nutrition tools, strategies for assistance and mentorship, reports, and interventions across the project.
- Provide technical guidance and support to Regional Bureaus , Regional Nutrition Coordination Offices, regional Food System and Nutrition Councils, and regional Food System and Nutrition implementing Bureaus in the development and implementation of robust nutrition coordination structures and Food System and Nutrition Councils at lower levels.
- Provide technical assistance and coordination support to the Regional Health Bureaus Nutrition team.
- Leverage existing nutrition related projects to support regional Multi-sector Nutrition Governance coordination.
- Provide technical leadership in building linkages between different sectors Bureaus and community platforms and the Regional FNC.
- Lead the capacity strengthening of key community nutrition stakeholders including the Regional Scaling Up Nutrition (SUN) movement Civil Society platforms.
- Strengthen linkages between community nutrition platforms and community systems for increased coordination and collaboration.
- Lead the Activity multi-sectoral coordination platform with all nutrition related and nutrition sensitive projects in the regions.
- In collaboration with Regional nutrition coordination office, identify capacity gaps and provide support to address the gaps.
- Coordinate and manage the provision of technical assistance and programmatic support to Regional multisectoral Nutrition coordination office, SUN and nutrition leadership platforms and the Regional FNC.
- Ensure technical deliverables and implementation are consistent with best practices.
- Proactively identify risks or challenges to technical deliverables and create mitigation plans.
- Review, assess, and evaluate the effectiveness of multisectoral nutrition governance interventions and make recommendations for enhancements.
- Actively monitor field activities and ensure timely completion of objectives.
- Provide supervisory support to Zonal coordinators based in the woredas.
- Perform any other incident-specific related duties, as required by the functional supervisor.
Desired experience, skills and attributes:
- Must have sufficient management expertise and experience, and demonstrated professional relationships to fulfill the requirements of the position
- Demonstrated ability to interact with implementing partners particularly USAID, implementing partners, and host country governments on governance and sustainability issues
- Must have demonstrated technical knowledge and experience in senior nutrition advisory roles
- Demonstrated in-depth understanding of the Ethiopia Nutrition sector.
- Strong oral and written communication and presentations skills
- Familiarity with USAID or other USG administrative, management and reporting procedures and systems; experience with contracts preferred
- Proven track record managing a project team composed of several technical experts and fostering teamwork.
- Ability to coach, mentor, and develop technical capacity in national programs and technical staff in QI
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Fluency in English is required.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite
- Support projects knowledge management initiatives in documenting approaches and achievements.
- Provides context and framing in project reporting.
- Ensures document management site is used appropriately by project team.
- Provides operations support, e.g., writes position descriptions, participates on staff interview panels, and serves as hiring manager as needed.
- Conducts new hire onboarding on department procedures and administrative processes.
- May liaise with Corporate on matters concerning data integrity associated with HR systems, team finance system, etc. and other administrative matters delegated by senior project staff.
Business Development and Proposal Management Support:
- Help to identify funding opportunities and participate with Business Development and Diversification (BDD) efforts, including capture work and development and/or review of proposal narratives and budgets.
- Leads aspects of business development and project design efforts such as drafting management section in a proposal.
- May lead design activities, sub-components of a larger project or overall design of some smaller awards.
- Leads project design tasks and approach to project tasks and may lead project-level tasks in multiple task areas.
- Participates in capture management, selects partners, and drafts team agreements, and leads aspects of proposal design.
- Support the subaward design and is responsible for subaward monitoring.
- Support assigned projects in areas including start-up, work planning, budget development, project reporting, and general problem-solving.
- Provide on-going programmatic and financial oversight to assigned projects, including monitoring of spending rates, sub-awards, deliverables, reports, etc.
- Reviews or approves purchase orders in the finance system of record (headquarters' (HQ) only)
- Contributes to the development of the project’s budget process.
- Reads and interprets budget to understand tracking.
- Reviews or approves expense reports.
- Reviews or approves invoices.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Advanced knowledge of project management concepts and practices.
- May have or be in the process of developing content knowledge in a functional area.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent and demonstrated project management skills.
- Ability to influence and collaborate with others.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data, identify errors, and prepare reports.
There are 31 FHI 360 development competencies. Of greatest focus for this job are:
- Project Management (Planning and Time Management) - Accurately scopes out length and difficulty of tasks (sets objectives/goals/measures). Breaks down work into steps, schedules, task/people assignments. Marshal's people, time, and resource efficiently. Arranges information in a useful manner and orchestrates multiple activities at once.
- People Management (Making Others Great) – Facilitate professional development of staff by providing challenging, learning assignments and opportunities. Shares and solicits feedback monthly at the very least. Helps establish compelling development plans. Assigns responsibility and accountability for tasks/decisions. Monitor's process, progress, and results. Creates a climate in which people want to do their best.
- Creating and Managing Systems and Processes – Recognizes the need for standardization and balances client and organization need in systems design. Anticipates the effects of process change on people while optimizing task efficiency and simplicity.
- Employees are expected to possess or have high potential for the development of these three fundamental competencies.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Works on problems of complex scope that require evaluation of variable factors.
- Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining solutions.
- Networks with key internal and external personnel.
- Decisions may cause delays or failure to achieve results that impact departmental goals.
- Serves as a team lead and mentors lower-level personnel.
- Determines methods and procedures on new assignments and may coordinate activities of other personnel.
- May serve as a mentor and provide guidance to junior staff.
- Typically reports to Regional Hub lead with dotted line reporting to Governance Advisor
- Bachelor's degree or its international equivalent in public health, management, nutrition, international development, or related field; Master’s degree advantageous.
- Project Management (PM) Certification preferred.
- Minimum of 6+ years of related work experience, including managing and implementing multisectoral nutrition coordination and governance initiatives for donor-funded programs, preferably in multiple regions in Ethiopia.
- At least 6 years of relevant senior-level professional experience managing and implementing nutrition or public health programs in Ethiopia
- Strong interpersonal and networking, advocacy skills and demonstrated competency in stakeholder engagement.
- Deep understanding of the Ethiopia context.
- Familiar with national policies, strategies, and platforms related to food system and nutrition.
- In-depth understanding of local government, and planning and budgeting processes from the national to the kebele level.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment.
- Ability to spend long hours looking at computer screen and doing repetitive work on a keyboard.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
Technology to be Used:
- Personal Computer/Laptop, Microsoft applications (i.e., Office 365, SharePoint, Skype/Zoom/Teams), cell phone/mobile technology, and standard office equipment.
- 10% - 25%
Date Revised: 9/13/2021
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
Our values and commitments to safeguarding: FHI 360 is committed to preventing any type of abuse, exploitation and harassment in our work environments and programs, including sexual abuse, exploitation and harassment. FHI 360 takes steps to safeguard the welfare of everyone who engages with our organization and programs and requires that all personnel, including staff members and volunteers, share this commitment and sign our code of conduct. All offers of employment will be subject to appropriate screening checks, including reference, criminal record and terrorism finance checks. FHI 360 also participates in the Inter-Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme (MDS), facilitated by the Steering Committee for Humanitarian Response. In line with the MDS, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any substantiated findings of sexual abuse, exploitation and/or harassment during the applicant’s tenure with previous employers. By applying, job applicants confirm their understanding of these recruitment procedures and consent to these screening checks.
FHI 360 will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360's Career Portal.