Investment Associate, Acumen’s Hardest-to-Reach Initiative
Acumen is looking for an Investment Associate to help lead early-stage investments in the off grid solar sector in Sub-Saharan Africa as part of our Key Strategic Initiative “Hardest to Reach”. This role is based in London
Acumen is changing the way the world tackles poverty by investing in companies, leaders and ideas. We invest patient capital in businesses whose products and services are enabling the poor to transform their lives. To date, Acumen has positively impacted 309 million lives by investing $137 million in 139 innovative, early-stage companies in Africa, Latin America, South Asia, and the United States. But investment isn’t only about capital, we’ve been investing in innovators for years, connecting with emerging leaders around the world and engaging them in collective dialogue, moral inquiry, and skill building.
About the context
Of the approximately 789 million people in the world who currently live without electricity, many will gain access through grid extension and off-grid solar by 2030. However, estimates suggest that roughly 215 million people will be left behind because they live in risky or remote, rural areas where investors have been unable or unwilling to go. In the last decade, there has been a steady increase in financing available for clean, renewable energy, but that money is largely directed towards wealthier nations. Even when investment dollars are directed to low-income regions, they are not always directed where the need is greatest.
About the role
Acumen is seeking an Investment Associate to help lead early-stage investments in the off grid solar sector in Sub-Saharan Africa as part of our Key Strategic Initiative “Hardest to Reach” (“H2R”). H2R’s ambition is to bolster markets and provide capital to off-grid companies enabling clean energy access in some of the least developed countries in Africa, an ambitious project to help achieve SDG7. This role will be directly involved in sourcing, evaluating, underwriting and managing private investments for off-grid solar enterprises to expand and grow in identified H2R countries.This role will report to the Investment Director in London
- Lead multiple transactions in parallel throughout the entire deal lifecycle, from origination to closing with a focus on financial and impact due diligence
- Conduct financial analysis and create financial models (for both debt and equity)
- Write Investment Memoranda and present investment opportunities to the Investment Committee
- Monitor investment performance, including impact and financial targets (e.g. covenant compliance)
Skills & Qualifications :
- Strong analytical skills and ability to build financial models for corporate finance transactions
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience
- At least 3 years of experience in Finance, ideally in an investment capacity leading or supporting on debt and/or equity transactions
- Great communication skills and ability to develop relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Self reflective and aligned with Acumen values
- Eligible to work in the UK
- Experience in Energy Access
- Professional experience investing or working in Sub-Saharan Africa
- French speaker
Candidates are encouraged to apply as early as possible as applications will be screened and interviews scheduled on a rolling basis.