Senior Associate, Health
Acumen America is looking for a Senior Associate to join our San Francisco-based, US venture investing team, and focus on our supporting The Medicaid Innovation Collaborative and broader health portfolio. We’re looking for someone with a minimum of 7 years of healthcare experience in consulting, investing, program management, or related fields and a commitment to tackling poverty and improving the health and well-being of people enrolled in Medicaid. The ideal candidate is a bold, creative, and passionate individual who excels in a fast-paced, startup environment.
The Senior Associate will be joining a team catalyzing the power of entrepreneurs to drive meaningful change on problems of poverty in America. In particular, the Senior Associate will focus on supporting a portfolio of game-changing health companies focused on tackling poverty in the United States. Since 2015, Acumen America has invested in 39 companies reaching over 85M low-income Americans. We’re committed to principles of diversity and inclusion, and 56% of our companies have a founder of color and 44% have a female founder. Over half of these investments have been in the health sector. The team is responsible for finding, vetting, structuring, and managing investments in companies that serve low-income Americans in our three portfolio sectors: financial inclusion, workforce development, and health.
Medicaid Innovation Collaborative
The Medicaid Innovation Collaborative (MIC) is a program of Acumen America with the goal of advancing the adoption of innovations in Medicaid. The MIC offers a structured approach for states and health plans to identify and implement tech-enabled solutions to address health equity. Through cross-state collaboration, technical assistance, and a robust process to identify and vet solutions, the state Medicaid programs collaborate with managed care plans to support the adoption of tech-enabled innovations to address health equity. The MIC has supported the development of partnerships between managed care plans and health companies to pilot and evaluate their impact on Medicaid agencies. This work drives important insights for the Acumen America investment team as well as the portfolio companies. It also supports Acumen America’s broader systems change goals to impact health for low-income Americans.
Reporting to the Principal, the Senior Associate will play a key role on the Acumen America team and focus specifically on advancing the goals of the Acumen America’s health strategy. The primary focus will be supporting the implementation of the Medicaid Innovation Collaborative programmatic goals. The role will also be actively involved in developing and implementing a program of high-quality technical support to Acumen America’s health portfolio companies. The Senior Associate will manage the execution of the MIC program by working closely with state agencies, managed care plans and tech-enabled companies to address health equity. They will also assist the team with building best-in-class post-investment support for Acumen America’s portfolio companies and assist with the diligence of new health investments.
The individual in this role must be comfortable working in a fast-paced, changing environment, executing quickly on a range of responsibilities, as well as thinking critically to add value and solve problems to ensure successful implementation of the strategies and goals for MIC and the support of the Acumen America portfolio companies. This role will report to the team’s Health Principal. More specifically, they will:
- Play a meaningful role in developing approaches to ensure successful implementation of MIC goals
- Serve as the lead for implementing the programmatic operations of the MIC process to work with states, health plans and tech-enabled innovations
- Support management of critical partnerships to support MIC and post-investment support
- Support implementation of the approach for providing post-investment support to Acumen America portfolio companies including building strategic partnerships
- Develop, coordinate, and manage strategic plans to advance the mission and goals of the Medicaid Innovation Collaborative
- Coordinate and manage project plans for the health portfolio team
- Develop production of deliverables and communication products to support the success of the health portfolio, including MIC
- Develop approach for incorporating consumer advisor feedback into MIC approach and supporting portfolio companies. Provide ongoing management of the Consumer Advisors.
- Conduct analysis to inform focus areas for the MIC and insights to identify companies
- Manage and coordinate activities with State Medicaid departments, managed care organizations and other MIC vendors and partners
- Support the management of approaches to support portfolio company needs including mentorship and match-making programs
- Partner with the external evaluation team to assess impact of pilots and programs
- Hone pilot funding and evaluation model to demonstrate impact of solutions
- Monitor and assign resources appropriately to streamline project efficiency and maximize deliverable outputs
- Support operational needs of the Health team including supporting webinars, events, and organizing knowledge management systems
- Support administrative and systems needs of the health team
- Support communications needs of the health team including leading social media and external communications
- Support building of PPT’s, spreadsheets and deliverables to support the advancement of goals
- Support reporting and deliverables for funders
- Work with Acumen America team to identify and manage approaches to address portfolio company needs related to post-investment support, which may include areas such as the following:
- Establish and support management of a health industry advisory group
- Develop a coaching program for company leadership
- Launch networking opportunities for companies to learn from each other
- Test, evaluate and refine approaches based upon feedback and impact on companies
Qualifications & Characteristics
- minimum of 7 years of experience in program management, investing, operations or related experience in the health sector
- Strong interest and experience with program management or consulting experience in health sector
- Strong experience managing partnerships and relationships with external leaders in health care
- Experience and interest in improving health and wellbeing of Medicaid beneficiaries
- Strong interest in tech-enabled innovations and intersection with Medicaid
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Commitment to creating social impact and advancing health equity
- Ability to pro-actively see challenges and fill the need
- Open to trying new approaches or tools to solving needs
- Solid operational skills including problem-solving and project management skills, including ability to work and deliver projects independently, proactively and under pressure
- Bachelor's Degree is required
- Self-reflective and aligned with Acumen values
- Must be permanently authorized to work in the U.S.
San Francisco, CA
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed and candidates interviewed on a rolling basis.
The salary range for this role in San Francisco is $115,000 - $135,000 USD plus a performance-based bonus. This range represents the present low and high end of pay range for this role at Acumen America. Actual compensation will vary based on various factors including but not limited to experience.