Acumen Latin America (ALA) is looking for a portfolio analyst with 2 – 3 years of experience to help build and manage an investment portfolio of impact-driven early-stage companies across Latin America. The right candidate is committed to using investments to tackle poverty, is creative, and can excel in a fast-paced environment. This role will report to the team’s Portfolio Manager.
We’re investors. A different kind of investor. We invest in people and companies working to solve problems for people living in poverty... essential products and services that bring more opportunities, more choices to millions. To date, Acumen has positively impacted more than 400 million lives by investing $148 million in 156 innovative, early-stage companies in Africa, Latin America, South Asia, and the United States. But investing clearly isn’t just about capital. It’s about investing in people, and we’ve been doing it for years. Connecting with emerging leaders in their own countries and engaging them in extended collective dialogue on what constitutes a “good society”, moral inquiry, and skill building.
Acumen Latin America (ALA) started operations in 2013, with a regional focus on Colombia and Peru. The work in Colombia has been focused both on rural areas, particularly post conflict municipalities, and on benefiting communities that historically have faced social, economic, and political exclusion, including small holder farmers, women, Afro Colombian people, and indigenous communities.
About the Role
The Portfolio Analyst will source and evaluate new investment opportunities, assist with due diligence processes on high-potential opportunities, assist with structuring deal terms. The Portfolio Analyst will use their analytical skills to evaluate the growth and return potential of companies from both a financial and social impact perspective.
The Portfolio Analyst will support data collection, analysis, and reporting related to Acumen Latin America’s investment portfolio and its performance, fundraising and strategic partnership initiatives, and management of portfolio operations. They will contribute to actively building and cultivating Acumen Latin America networks in the impact investing communities and will contribute to developing insight and communication pieces for external audiences. The Portfolio Analyst will support the coordination of Acumen Latin America’s impact assessments, liaising with investee companies, the Insights and Strategy team. The role reports to the Portfolio Manager for Latin America. Specific responsibilities include collaborating with the team on but are not limited to:
Identifying investment opportunities and due diligence
- Identifying, cultivating, and reviewing a pipeline of early-stage investment opportunities in Latin America
- Supporting due diligence processes and investment analysis, including financial modeling, valuation review and structuring
- Support the preparation of investment documentation for review by the Investments team before it is presented to the Investment Committee
- Analyze and document data-driven explanations for portfolio decisions
- Generate reporting related to fundraising and strategic partnership initiatives, and management of portfolio operations
- Understand and document investment-specific insights
- Produce written materials on lessons from our portfolio and portfolio reports for funders
- Channel insights into marketing and fundraising
Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree in engineering, business administration, economics, or related subjects
- Minimum of 2 to 3 years of experience in venture capital, private equity, investment banking, management consulting or investment management
- Financial and business analysis skills;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Familiarity with the social enterprise and impact investing sectors; demonstrated commitment to tackling challenges of poverty is preferred.
- Self-reflective and aligned with Acumen's Values
- Authorized to work in Bogota, Colombia (currently the role is hybrid).
- Availability to travel within Colombia
Candidates are encouraged to apply early and submit applications by January 10, 2024. Applications will be reviewed and interviews scheduled on a rolling basis.