Media Advisor, MENA
Skoll World Forum
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Internews is seeking a Media Advisor, MENA to conduct and oversee the media landscape assessment component of a stakeholder mapping process over the four-month inception phase of an upcoming media support project.
During the inception phase, the Advisor will assess digital platforms, content trends, and media outlets operating in the project focal country and will identify media needs and challenges. Their insights will inform strategic decision-making for later phases of project implementation.
Our ideal candidate is a media expert with a deep understanding of media trends and challenges, particularly in digital media, as well as stakeholder and audience engagement in the project’s focal country. The Advisor should have a background in journalism (preferred), public relations, and/or communications, and the knowledge and skills required to analyze trends and recognize opportunities for expanding citizen access to quality information within the media ecosystem.
This role will be based remotely in the MENA region. Candidates must have work authorization in their location that does not require sponsorship from Internews. Additionally, there are locations in which Internews is not able to support fully remote work.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so candidates are encouraged to apply soon.
This is a limited-term position with an anticipated term of 4 months; this position may be extended, contingent upon receipt of funding.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations, and socioeconomic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
- Draft research design for media landscape analysis in line with Internews methodology.
- Conduct and oversee the research, data analysis, and writing of a media landscape assessment report.
- Regularly assess the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats facing media outlets, journalists/other content creators, and media support organizations in the project focal country through personal communications, regular observation, and design and review of applicable research with a particular focus on digital media.
- Work closely with project partners; design, organize, and lead relevant trainings, consultations, pitch sessions, and other support programs for media professionals, content creators, and media support organizations.
- Cultivate a network of experts in various aspects of journalism, media business and management, media literacy, and related spheres to serve as additional trainers, mentors, and speakers.
- Nurture relationships with media professionals, media outlets, research institutions, media literacy initiatives, media faculties and media support organizations in the region.
- Support the development of calls for proposals for consultants and experts; evaluate applications; provide constructive feedback to applicants. Monitor implementation of winning proposals and provide recommendations as necessary to ensure quality work.
- Perform regular reporting on the results and impact of program support. Responsible for the development of progress reports, workplans, presentations, fact sheets, donor reports, and other explanatory and communications materials.
- In all duties, uphold Internews’ Core Values and demonstrate commitment to fostering a culture of Belonging, Dignity, and Justice.
QUALIFICATIONS WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Minimum 3 years of relevant work experience, including project coordination experience or equivalent lived/professional experience.
- Relevant university degree or equivalent lived/professional experience.
- Excellent knowledge of English and Arabic languages (speaking, understanding, and writing).
- Strong knowledge of the project focal country’s media landscape and strong expertise in the civil society sector.
- Excellent communication and strong writing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with others and problem-solve in a multicultural, remote work environment.
- Flexibility to adjust working hours as needed to accommodate periodic shifts in workload and colleagues in different time zones.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, reliability, good time management skills.
- Strong attention to detail, problem-solving, and analytical skills required.
- Ability to work well with others, meet deadlines, and respond to changes in priorities.
- Strong sense of teamwork and productivity.
Note: Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications, but are interested and willing to learn, are encouraged to apply.
- Experience working on international donor-funded media or democracy support projects preferred.
- Familiarity with issues related to media literacy, access to information, digital security, and/or audience measurement and analysis is a plus.