Skoll World Forum
Supervisor: Chief Financial Officer
Location: Colombia or El Salvador preferred
Start Date: ASAP
Contract Type: Full-Time Employee
Travel:Up to 50% in the first year
Acceso (www.acceso.org) is a social enterprise that is revolutionizing food systems in Latin America and the Caribbean to put smallholder farmers first. Acceso’s mission is to create fundamental and lasting positive economic change in the lives of rural smallholder farming families. Our entrepreneurial model provides smallholder farmers with a sustainable way to participate in formalized markets, enabling them to work themselves out of poverty with dignity and to prosper. Acceso currently operates a portfolio of three social businesses in Colombia, Haiti and El Salvador and an agtech tool (Extensio) founded in Mexico. Across our agribusinesses, we have impacted more than 26,000 smallholder farmers and farm workers, generating more than $60m in farmer income to date.
About this role:
The Controller role is a senior-level position focused on building and managing an excellent and scalable financial operation to support Acceso’s growth to more than 100,000 farmers in the next two years. The Controller will report directly to the CFO and will be responsible for all finance, accounting, and audit activities for each of Acceso’s program countries. This role will be based in Colombia, El Salvador, or in one of Acceso’s operating countries with significant travel in the first year.
1. Accounting and Financial Operations
- Help manage global cash flow forecasting by working with country teams – gather information, analyze, and consolidate for CFO.
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems, ensuring compliance with the various accounting standards in Acceso’s countries of operations.
- Lead country-level forecasting and budgeting in conjunction with the General Managers, country finance teams, and CFO.
- Develop and implement a system for tracking and reporting against restricted grants from multilateral donors like USAID.
- Manage and coordinate all audit activities in all countries.
- Manage country bank accounts and be the main point of contact with bank representatives.
- Upgrade and implement an appropriate system of policies, internal controls, accounting standards, and procedures.
- Improve administrative and operational accounting services such as treasury management, grants payment processing, payroll, accounts payable, and purchasing.
2. Team Leadership
- Manage existing in-country finance team, as well as plan for growth by recruiting and training staff.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality by providing training and support.
- Minimum of a BA; CPA or Masters degree preferred.
- Minimum of 6 years of professional work experience, with at least 3 years in a Controller or equivalent role.
- Strong experience in financial management and accounting: you understand how a Balance Sheet and P&L tie together; you get excited about journal entries and cash flow.
- Leadership: You are skilled at directly managing others and are highly motivated to professionally develop and integrate into the teams you work with.
- Entrepreneurial attitude, and an adaptive work style: You thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly-changing environment.
- Ability and discipline to work remotely.
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time to Acceso’s markets in LATAM and the Caribbean in the first year.
- Working fluency in Spanish and English. French or Haitian Creole a plus.
To apply, please submit your CV/Resume and Cover Letter (all in English) via the application form on our website (https://acceso.org/jobs/financial-controller/). In your Cover Letter, please highlight your experience managing multinational teams and finance/accounting functions across multiple currencies.
For more information about Acceso and careers with us, please visit Acceso.org/careers.
Acceso is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes.